Richard C. Landon
Richard Landon is a trial and appellate attorney who advises and represents businesses resolving disputes in antitrust, distribution, and franchising, as well as shareholder disputes and other complex commercial litigation. Richard’s representation of manufacturers and distributors covers a variety of commercial disputes, including dealer terminations, antitrust, and other unfair competition claims. Richard also regularly helps franchisors enforce post-termination rights and defends against claims by sales representatives for unpaid commissions and wrongful termination. In addition to litigation, Richard advises clients on antitrust issues in product distribution and franchising, including advice and employee training on pricing issues and other supply practices, as well as the application of state dealership laws and franchise relationship laws.
Before joining the firm, Richard was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Michael J. Melloy for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, and Richard continues to focus part of his practice on appellate work representing a diverse range of issues in front of state appellate courts and Federal Courts of Appeal.
- Obtained defense verdict for railroad in three-day jury trial against contractor seeking $1 million for breach of contract.
- Obtained dismissal for heavy equipment dealer and auction services provider against Sherman Act conspiracy claim.
- Obtained summary judgment for national equipment manufacturer on statutory wrongful termination claims brought by former dealer.
- Successfully defended national furniture manufacturer against unfair business practices and contract claims in suit by terminated dealer.
- Obtained trial verdict for public transportation contractor after two-week trial in public-bidding challenge from a losing bidder.
- Successfully defended heavy equipment distributor against price discrimination and breach of contract claims by terminated dealer.
- Represented former employees in the transportation logistics industry in two-week trial, involving allegations of trade secret misappropriation, tortious interference, and violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Successfully defended heavy equipment dealer in two-day bench trial for negligent repair claim.
- Represented national restaurant franchisor in arbitration against claims of state franchise law violations.
- Represented national hotel franchisors in suits involving franchise termination and allegations of state franchise law violations.
- Represented national fitness club franchisor in arbitrations seeking damages for premature terminations by franchisees.
- Reversed Court of Appeals dismissal on jurisdictional grounds on behalf of plaintiffs suing the State of Minnesota for failure to provide an adequate education in Minneapolis and Saint Paul public schools, as required by the Minnesota State Constitution. Cruz-Guzman v. State, 916 N.W.2d 1 (Minn. 2018).
- Reversed Court of Appeals decision invalidating public procurement contract for municipal bus services. Rochester City Lines, Co. v. City of Rochester, 913 N.W.2d 443 (Minn. 2018).
- Obtained affirmance by the Minnesota Supreme Court of a ruling that client was not responsible for organizational conflicts of interest regarding a publicly bid governmental contract. Rochester City Lines, Co. v. City of Rochester, 868 N.W.2d 655 (Minn. 2016).
- Obtained affirmance of judgment on the pleadings in patent dispute by invalidating asserted patents as directed to ineligible subject matter and defend the ruling in the Federal Circuit. Concaten, Inc. v. AmeriTrack Fleet Solutions, LLC, 669 Fed. Appx. 571 (Fed. Cir. 2016).
- Represented neighborhood association in Eighth Circuit appeal challenging environmental review of public transportation project.
- Represented office products vendor in Seventh Circuit appeal of dismissed False Claims Act complaint.
- Represented agricultural farm at the Minnesota Supreme Court in challenge to assessment of unemployment insurance tax based on wages paid to temporary foreign visa workers.
- Represented Defendant challenging jurisdiction of state court to review fraudulent transfer claim outside of bankruptcy court.
- Obtained affirmance of franchisor’s dismissal from putative class action regarding overpayment of sales tax.
- Represented sons against estate of their father for breach of fiduciary duty managing a trust.
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit
- "Up & Coming Attorney,” Minnesota Lawyer, 2019
- “Attorneys of the Year Group” award for Cruz-Guzman v. State of Minnesota, Minnesota Lawyer, 2018
- “North Star Lawyers,” Minnesota State Bar Association, 2014, 2016-2018
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Antitrust Section Counsel
- American Bar Association, ABA Forum on Franchising
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Law clerk for the Honorable Michael J. Melloy, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Gray Plant Mooty Pro Bono Committee
- Volunteer Lawyers Network, volunteer
- July 3, 2019
- June 14, 2019
- February 18, 2019
- January 7, 2019
- July 16, 2018
- May 18, 2017
- Assistant Editor of The GPMemorandum, containing updates on franchise and distribution law developments7/1/2019
- Litigation Update - Rules of Civil Procedure Continue to Adapt to the Realities of Electronic Discovery12/30/2013
80 South Eighth Street500 IDS CenterMinneapolis, MN 55402
- Appellate Practice
- Franchise & Dealership Terminations
- Franchise & Distribution Noncompete Agreements
- General Business & Complex Commercial Litigation
- Shareholder Disputes
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Franchise & Distribution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation
- eDiscovery: Data, Records & Information Governance
- Franchise Litigation & Dispute Resolution
University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., with high distinction, 2011
- Iowa Law Review, articles editor
- Order of the Coif
University of Iowa, M.A., 2007, American Studies
Macalester College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003, Religious Studies