Commitment to Diversity
Diversity is a priority. Lathrop GPM is made up of individuals with entrepreneurial spirits and a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. We are dedicated to being a law firm whose workforce reflects the diversity of the clients we serve and the communities in which we live and practice.
We actively encourage and foster a culture that is respectful of all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation or gender identification. We value the critical and collaborative thinking that is borne from a diverse workforce. At Lathrop GPM, we believe that these varied perspectives strengthen our ability to zealously represent our clients. Cultivating diversity is paramount for the firm and will be critical to our continued growth and success.
Diversity is action. Lathrop GPM supports and participates in a broad spectrum of programs and activities focused on diversity within the firm, the legal profession and our communities.
An active Culture, Diversity & Inclusion Committee. The Culture, Diversity & Inclusion Committee focuses on ensuring Lathrop GPM remains a supportive and encouraging environment for all attorneys and staff. It consistently develops new ways to recruit, retain and foster the professional development of diverse talent. This group also provides support and resources to the firm’s affinity groups for women and attorneys of color.
Diversity leadership. Lathrop GPM takes an active role in diversity and inclusion initiatives in our communities:
- We were a founding sponsor of the Heartland Diversity Legal Job Fair, which attracts hundreds of aspiring legal professionals from across the nation to Kansas City as part of a comprehensive effort to increase diversity in the legal community. We also have participated in the Rocky Mountain Diversity Legal Career Fair and the St. Louis Diversity Job Fair, among others.
- We participate in the Center for Legal Inclusiveness, an innovative program geared toward creating a culture of inclusion in the legal community. The campaign has developed a how-to manual for the legal profession, which Lathrop GPM is currently piloting prior to wide release to the entire Colorado legal community.
- Lathrop GPM is an active member of the Colorado Pledge to Diversity, a legal group pledged to actively infuse diversity into all levels of firm management.
- Regularly prosecute claims of excessive force and other violations of due process for arrestees and inmates under Section 1983 in the Northern District of Illinois.
- We are a major contributor to the Chicago Bar Foundation (the charitable pro bono arm of the Chicago Bar Association), including having a partner who serves on the foundation board of directors and the nominating and governance committee.
Professional and community involvement. Our attorneys and staff invest significant time and resources in leading, advising and carrying out the work of more than 200 charitable and other public service organizations, many of which are geared toward diversity initiatives. We support and foster networking within diversity sections of the American Bar Association and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association, and we participate in various diverse bar associations, including the Asian Pacific Bar Association of Colorado and the Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City, among others.
Diversity clerkships and scholarships. Our Denver office has partnered with the University of Denver Sturm College of Law to create the Advantage Clerkship, a cutting-edge and innovative program for diverse law students. Each year, the clerkship is awarded to one outstanding diverse law-school applicant. Participants receive mentoring from individuals throughout our organization; have access to our resources, including the library and research materials; and are invited to firm events and meetings. After the successful completion of the first year of law school, participants begin a 10-week paid summer associate position with Lathrop GPM.
We sponsor higher education scholarships through institutions such as the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association Leadership Academy, Jackson County (Missouri) Bar Association and the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law.
Diversity orientation. On day one, every new employee attends a session devoted to the firm’s diversity philosophy. This session provides information about the firm’s values and the importance of treating all individuals with respect and dignity.
LGBT benefits. Lathrop GPM offers life, health, dental and vision insurance coverage for domestic partners of same-sex relationships.