Justin L. Sallis
Justin litigates commercial disputes across the country on behalf of both corporations and individuals. He regularly counsels and represents some of the nation’s most prominent franchisors on matters central to the integrity of their brands and systems, including trademark infringement, breach of in-term and post-termination covenants against competition, violations of brand standards, claims arising from pre-contractual disclosures and representations, and vicarious liability issues.
Justin practices in federal and state courts and in domestic and international arbitrations. He also represents corporations and individuals in connection with internal and government investigations.
Justin currently serves as an Associate Editor for the ABA publication, The Franchise Lawyer.
Prior to joining the firm, Justin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Thomas F. Hogan of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Obtained an award in favor of a national quick service restaurant franchisor following a full evidentiary arbitration hearing. A panel of three arbitrators unanimously dismissed all claims against the franchisor, including claims of pre-franchise agreement misrepresentations concerning start-up costs, potential earnings, and the level of support to be provided, brought by a multi-unit franchisee seeking in excess of $8 million in damages. The franchisor was awarded attorney’s fees in full.
- Defended a national tax return preparation franchisor against claims that it had unlawfully terminated the plaintiffs’ franchise agreements for breaches of their in-term covenants against competition. The case settled on terms favorable to the client after a successful motion for summary judgment in which the United States District Court for the Central District of California upheld the termination and found in favor of the franchisor on its counterclaim for damages arising from the franchisees’ competition.
- Obtained final judgment from the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts rejecting the claim of an association of franchisees that their franchisor’s pricing arrangements with the designated supplier of its proprietary products breached the franchise agreements of the association’s members.
- Defended a national retail franchisor against breach of contract claims alleging encroachment in the form of brick and mortar stores and online retail operations. The matter settled on terms favorable to the client after the client largely prevailed on a motion to dismiss the franchisees’ claims in proceedings before the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
- Secured preliminary injunctions on behalf of numerous franchisor clients seeking to enjoin a franchisee’s continued use of the franchisor’s trademarks and business systems following the termination of a franchise agreement.
- Conducted an internal investigation of potential False Claims Act violations for national health care contractor.
- Represented a physician in a Stark and False Claims Act matter investigated by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- March 22, 2023
- October 28, 2021
- Session 1 - Wednesday, June 9; Session 2 - Wednesday, June 16; Session 3 - Wednesday, June 23
- Barbarians at the Gate: Franchisors and the Attorney-Client Privilege, the Work-Product Doctrine and the Common Interest PrivilegeOctober 5, 2017
- Panelist, Dealing with Non-compliant and Disengaged Franchisees, H.E.A.T. Franchise Summit, August 25 - 27, 2020
- Panelist, Conspiracy Theories: Establishing Third Party Liability in Franchise Litigation, IFA Legal Symposium, August 12-13, 2020
- Facilitator, Roundtables: Non-Solicitation/Anti-Poaching Clauses – In or Out?, IFA Legal Symposium, Washington, D.C., May 6, 2019
- Virginia Chapter Author, “Covenants Against Competition in Franchise Agreements,” American Bar Association Forum on Franchising (4th ed. 2022)
- Author, "How To Increase Diversity In Franchising," Franchising World, September 2022
Client Alerts and Blog Posts
- June 8, 2023
- May 4, 2023
- March 9, 2023
- March 9, 2023
- Connecticut Federal Court Denies Franchisee’s Motion for Temporary Restraining Order Following TerminationJanuary 11, 2023
- November 10, 2022
- Ohio Federal Court Grants Franchisor Attorneys’ Fees for Successfully Dismissing Fraud Claims Even Though Other Claims Remain PendingOctober 6, 2022
- Wisconsin Federal Court Holds Franchisor’s Right to Approve Transfer Includes Right to Condition Transfer on Signing of New Franchise AgreementSeptember 8, 2022
- August 11, 2022
- July 14, 2022
- June 16, 2022
- May 5, 2022
- Mississippi Federal Court Affirms Trademark Licensee’s Standing to Enforce Territorial Rights and Assert Unfair Competition Claim Against Wholesaler CompetitorsApril 7, 2022
- Georgia Federal Court Denies Franchisor’s Motion to Dismiss Good Faith and Fair Dealing CounterclaimJanuary 13, 2022
- Illinois Federal Court Finds Draft Agreements and Related Communications Do Not Show Formation of Exclusive Distribution AgreementDecember 9, 2021
- Spring 2019
- Health Alert: Supreme Court Clarifies Statute of Limitations in Nonintervened False Claims Act Qui Tam SuitsMay 31, 2019
- June 1, 2023
- June 1, 2022
- Lathrop GPM Continues Increasing Diversity in Franchising Speaker Series with “Increasing Diversity in Franchise Systems”February 2, 2022
- September 22, 2021
- April 27, 2021
- June 10, 2020
- February 24, 2020
- April 19, 2019
- January 7, 2019
- April 23, 2018
- April 24, 2017
- June 30, 2014
- January 31, 2013
- ABA's The Franchise Lawyer, Associate Editor
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellows Program, 2020
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Nationwide Franchise, Up & Coming, 2022-2023
- “Legal Eagle,” Franchise Times, 2021
- “Washington, D.C. Rising Star,” Super Lawyers, 2017-2021
- Lawyers of Color Hot List, 2014
Washington, D.C.600 New Hampshire Avenue, NWThe Watergate - Suite 700Washington, DC 20037
- Franchise & Distribution Noncompete Agreements
- Franchise Reorganization & Bankruptcy
- General Business & Complex Commercial Litigation
- Franchise & Distribution
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Investigations & White-Collar Defense
- eDiscovery: Data, Records & Information Governance
- Enforcing System Standards
- Franchise & Dealership Terminations
- Non-Compete, Non-Solicit, Trade Secrets & Other Restrictive Covenants
- Vicarious Liability/Risk Management
- Franchise Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- International Law
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Columbia
The George Washington University Law School, J.D.
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A.