Giulio A. DeConti
Giulio DeConti has more than 30 years of experience practicing intellectual property law and focuses on intellectual property strategy in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and chemistry. His technical specialties include drugs, proteins, peptides and antibodies (monoclonal antibodies), nucleic acids (siRNA), small organic molecules, drug discovery technology, recombinant DNA, and genomics.
Giulio works interactively with clients to build strong patent portfolios that protect the commercialization of biological, pharmaceutical, and chemical products and related technologies. He has extensive experience in IP due diligence, patentability, validity and infringement opinions, licensing, and the preparation and prosecution of patents. He brings this experience to each client relationship to help create and implement optimal strategies for creating strong patent portfolios and securing worldwide protection of a client’s intellectual property.
Prior to joining the firm, Giulio spent 20 years with Lahive & Cockfield, where he was a partner and served as chair of their Executive Committee from 2001-2007.
His notable experience includes:
- Counseling life science companies in developing and implementing intellectual property strategies, through all phases of their development from start-up to maturity, through private and public financing, and in the formation of corporate partnerships and alliances.
- Working with life science companies to protect new drugs and drug discovery technology, and to provide evaluations of intellectual property in connection with partnerships and collaborations, and with the acquisition or licensing of intellectual property assets.
- Extensive experience counseling start-up and early stage companies in developing the infrastructure necessary to build and protect intellectual property assets.
- Advising investors such as venture capitalists and investment bankers in evaluating intellectual property assets held by prospective candidates for investment.
- Represents multinational pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in developing strategies for worldwide patent protection.
- Speaker, “The Patenting Process: From Invention Disclosure to Patent,” April 2010
- Co-author, A Definiteness Reminder for Pharmaceutical Patent Drafters, Law360, January 16, 2018
- Co-author, 2013 Provided Few Small-Molecule Decisions, Law360, January 7, 2014
- Co-author, An ‘Obvious’ Ruling in Abilify Composition Patent Case, Law360, May 22, 2012
- Co-author, Are You Ready for Your Next IP Due Diligence?, September 2009
- Co-author, Standing Up to Scrutiny: Federal Circuit decisions show 2nd generation drug patents can withstand allegations of non-obviousness, InsideCounsel, September 29, 2011
- Co-author, Pharmaceutical Innovation and the Use of the Lead Compound Analysis, Intellectual Property Today, Dec. 2011
Client Alerts and Blog Posts
In the News
- August 1, 2022
- March 17, 2022
- August 19, 2021
- May 20, 2021
- Lathrop GPM Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America©, Lawyer of the Year, and Ones to Watch for 2021August 20, 2020
- Chambers USA 2020 Names Lathrop GPM a Top Law Firm, Insurance Recovery Team Earns New Recognition, Franchise Group Ranked NationwideApril 23, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- May 3, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- June 8, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- June 3, 2016
- October 23, 2015
- July 9, 2015
- May 20, 2015
- March 12, 2015
- October 17, 2014
- October 21, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- October 26, 2012
- August 22, 2012
- June 7, 2012
- October 25, 2011
- January 24, 2011
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Boston Patent Law Association
- Licensing Executives Society
- Chambers USA, Massachusetts IP, 2007 - 2021
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- Selected for Best Lawyers in America® in the practice areas of Biotechnology and Life Sciences Law, Intellectual Property Law, Patent Law, Trademark Law, 2011-2022
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers® list, 2005-2018
- Selected among Managing Intellectual Property magazine’s “IP Stars,” 2014-2018; Notable Practitioner, 2022
28 State StreetSuite 700Boston, MA 02109
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1982
Brown University, M.S., 1979
Brown University, Sc.B., 1975