Robert D. Cantwell
Robert Cantwell concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate and regulatory law with an emphasis on gaming, banking, franchise, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and business services. With a focus on value and efficiency, he provides creative, practical solutions to complex legal hurdles to clients in a number of industries, including gaming, manufacturing, financing, professional services, consumer goods and retail.
Robert has represented a broad spectrum of clients, ranging from start-up entities and privately held businesses to international investment funds and publicly traded companies in corporate and regulatory matters, including:
- Gaming acquisitions and gaming facility developments as well as complicated licensing issues.
- Mergers and acquisitions, public and private debt offerings, business restructurings and franchising.
- The structuring, negotiation and documentation of term and revolving credit facilities, working capital loans, acquisition loans and other financing arrangements.
Robert regularly appears before and communicates with various regulatory agencies related to gaming licensing, franchise registration and other business licensing matters, including the Missouri Gaming Commission, the Illinois Gaming Board and various state securities agencies.
Robert also handles a variety of general entity governance and operational stability matters, advising boards of directors and management with respect to structure, business expansion strategy and internal and third party agreements.
Representative client engagements have included the following:
- Represented two international private equity funds in the largest consummated gaming acquisition, successfully obtaining state regulatory approval for the acquisition under a novel gaming structure in concert with a multi-jurisdictional team.
- Represented various public companies before the Missouri Gaming Commission and in negotiations with municipalities in connection with gaming developments from the RFP stage through breaking ground and the licensing/opening of the gaming facilities.
- Guided a foreign jurisdiction gaming entrepreneur through the Illinois Gaming Board process to become licensed and approved as one of the very first Terminal Operators under the Video Gaming Terminal Laws in the state of Illinois, providing an instant, invaluable competitive advantage to the client.
- Represented one of the largest sources of quality cutting tools and services for the wood, metal and plastic industries in North America in connection with a complex refinancing of its debt and equity, involving multiple tranches of lenders and investors.
- Represented a financial institution in connection with the financing of the expansion of a prominent luxury car dealership.
- Represented a leading contract packager using polyvinyl alcohol packaging in the sale of a segment of its business and the restructuring of its debt financing.
- Represented the fastest growing franchisor with federal and state regulatory compliance and registration matters.
- Represented various underwriters in public issues of debt by large municipalities in Missouri.
Robert shares his extensive knowledge of corporate and regulatory matters with clients and various industry groups, including acting as moderator of a panel on VGTs at the Global Gaming Expo in Las Vegas. He also annually attends the International Association of Gaming Advisors where he has presented in the past.
- Contributing Author, "USA - Missouri: Law & Practice," Chambers Gaming Law 2022, December 2022
In the News
- February 14, 2012
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Chicago Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
St. Louis7701 Forsyth BoulevardSuite 500Clayton, MO 63105
Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1996
Saint Louis University, B.S., cum laude, 1992