Stephen K. Dexter
Stephen Dexter has considerable experience representing creditors in business reorganization and consumer bankruptcy cases and, among other things, has successfully pursued multimillion-dollar environmental claims, defended numerous preference actions, represented financial institutions holding secured claims, prosecuted non-dischargeability actions and relief from stay actions, and advised creditors serving on Chapter 11 creditor committees. Stephen has also advised entities on various pre-bankruptcy planning issues and has considerable experience in commercial litigation matters.
Some of Stephen’s representative experience includes:
- Represented large manufacturing entities in dozens of Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases and the defense of such entities in numerous preference actions.
- Represented national service provider on various creditor issues arising in multiple Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases and the successful defense of client in numerous preference actions.
- Successfully represented national casino operator in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of an operating casino through a Chapter 11 section 363 sale.
- Represented receiver in a receivership action involving the operation and sale of a retail shopping center.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in an action to avoid the fraudulent conveyance of real property.
- Represented numerous lenders in loan enforcement and commercial foreclosure actions.
- Represented a variety of lenders in receivership actions involving the disposition of real estate.
- Successfully represented lenders in obtaining relief from the automatic stay in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Advised medical supplies vendor on its claim in a hospital’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy case and client’s participation on the creditors’ committee.
- Effectively represented business entity in fraudulent conveyance action seeking to recover wrongfully transferred oil and gas interests and assisted in the sale and liquidation of such interests.
- Represented large energy sector company in complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy and successfully recovered on multi-million dollar environmental claim against the debtor.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- The Missouri, Kansas, Michigan and Colorado Bars
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Speaker, Navigating the World of Commercial Bankruptcies, GAF Materials Corporation’s GAF Partners in Growth Conference, April 17, 2012
- November 21, 2017
1515 Wynkoop StreetSuite 600Denver, CO 80202
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., 1995
University of Missouri-Kansas City, M.B.A., 1990
University of Kansas, B.S., 1986
- Clerk for the Hon. Arthur J. Spector, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge, Eastern District of Michigan; Intern for the Hon. Arthur B. Federman, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge, Western District of Missouri