Shoshanah M. Shanes
Shoshanah is an associate in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group. Her practice includes commercial and business litigation in state and federal courts, employment litigation defending employers in Missouri and Illinois, financial services disputes, and trust and estates litigation involving breach of fiduciary claims. Across these various fields, Shoshanah’s commitment to excellent client service is at the heart of her work. Shoshanah is a staunch advocate for her clients, focusing on the client’s best interest even before litigation begins. Shoshanah understands litigation is not always the best route for clients and has successfully resolved matters prior to litigation through mediation and pre-litigation settlements. Her recent work has focused on:
- Representation of commercial lenders nationwide in commercial payment enforcement including pre-litigation recovery, replevin of assets, litigation and post-judgment collection of commercial debt.
- Representation of small and large businesses involving a range of issues including employment discrimination, contractual obligations, and franchise-related disputes.
- Representation of individuals in disputes involving beneficiaries and distribution of assets.
Shoshanah has taken and defended depositions of corporate representatives and individual named and third- party depositions. She uses her honed and incisive written advocacy skills when drafting motions, strong demand and settlement letters, and appellate briefs. In her time with Lathrop GPM, Shoshanah’s trial experience includes serving as second chair in a federal jury trial in the Southern District of Illinois and jury and bench trials in Missouri. Shoshanah has experience with direct and cross examination, jury selection, and pre and post-trial motion practice.
As a former petitioners’ advocate in domestic violence courtrooms, Shoshanah brings her experience and knowledge of gender-based violence to her pro bono representation of individuals seeking orders of protection. Shoshanah is passionate about her pro bono work and regularly acts as appointed counsel to incarcerated individuals bringing Section 1983 claims.
Shoshanah is a co-chair of Lathrop GPM’s LGBTQ+ Allies Inclusion Network and serves as a member of the firm’s Recruitment Committee. While in law school, Shoshanah externed for the U.S. Attorneys’ Office of the Eastern District of Missouri, where she second chaired her first jury trial, drafted and argued motions, and assisted with investigations. Prior to joining the firm as an associate, Shoshanah was a 1L and 2L summer associate with legacy Lathrop Gage.
Outside of work, Shoshanah enjoys training for half marathons in Forest Park, cooking with vegetables she finds at local farmers’ markets, trying out local restaurants, and seeing live theater productions.
- Co-Moderator, "Diverse Perspectives from the Bench,” Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, June 24, 2021
Client Alerts and Blog Posts
- Diversity & Inclusion Award Honoree, Missouri Lawyers Media, 2022
- CALI Awards
7701 Forsyth BoulevardSuite 500Clayton, MO 63105
155 North Wacker DriveSuite 3000Chicago, IL 60606-1787
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Washington University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2020
Washington University in St. Louis, B.A., Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies, History, with university honors, 2017