Pamela J. Kovacs
As a former recruiter, Pamela Kovacs brings a unique insight into her work in employment and labor law, including advising clients in the areas of discipline and discharge, employee handbooks, wage and hour, professional employer organizations, joint employment issues, collective bargaining, and labor campaigns. In addition, her education and experience in government contract law during law school provide Pamela a useful foundation for her affirmative action work with government contractors.
Pamela also advises colleges and universities on higher education laws, such as Title IX, the Clery Act, the Campus SaVE Act, and FERPA. As part of trainED, she regularly conducts trainings and investigations for higher education institutions as well.
Prior to joining Lathrop GPM, Pamela was a clerk for the Honorable James B. Loken at the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. She also served as a summer associate for Gray Plant Mooty in 2011.
- Conducted multiple investigations of allegations of sexual misconduct involving students and/or staff at higher education institutions
- Drafted sexual misconduct policies for multiple higher education institutions
- Advised higher education institutions on decisions and appeals following sexual misconduct or other policy violation investigations involving students, faculty, and/or staff
- Advised and assisted university in successfully opposing union campaign to organize adjunct faculty
- Prepared affirmative action plans for various government contractors
- Represented university in defending federal lawsuit following Title IX investigation and assisted university in reaching favorable settlement
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- “North Star Lawyers,” Minnesota State Bar Association, 2014
- Bethlehem Baptist Church, member
- Immigration Law Center of Minnesota, pro bono attorney
- Manage child safety policies, training, and response for faith-based organization working overseas
- “Affirmatively Inefficient Jurisprudence?: Confusing Contractors’ Rights to Raise Affirmative Defenses with Sovereign Immunity,” coauthor, The Federal Circuit Bar Journal
- Co-presenter, “Campus SaVE Act Final Regulations Update,” trainED, November 19, 2014
- Co-presenter, “Drafting Your Notice of Determination Training,” trainED, November 13, 2014
- Co-presenter,“Clery Act Annual Security Report Training,” trainED, September 10, 2014
80 South Eighth Street500 IDS CenterMinneapolis, MN 55402
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., summa cum laude, 2012
- Order of the Coif
Bethel University, B.A. in Journalism, magna cum laude, 2007