Lathrop GPM Achieves Chambers High Net Worth 2021 Rankings in Three States, for Nine Attorneys
(July 22, 2021) — The Lathrop GPM Trusts, Estates & Legacy Planning Practice Group and nine of its attorneys are highly ranked in the Chambers and Partners’ High Net Worth 2021 directory. Released today, the annual ranking honors Lathrop GPM with top rankings — Band 1 in Kansas and Minnesota and Band 2 in Missouri — in the Private Wealth Law category. In addition, nine attorneys were included in the premier guide that ranks the top lawyers and law firms for serving clients in the private wealth area.
“It is an honor to be ranked in the Chambers and Partners’ High Net Worth directory,” said Trusts, Estates & Legacy Planning Practice Group Lead Marya Robben. “Our entire team prides itself in providing sophisticated legal advice and personal service to clients. We are honored by the Chambers Rankings and believe this is a reflection of our clients’ satisfaction.”
The nine Lathrop GPM attorneys ranked, three for the first time*, are as follows:
- Jim B. Betterman (Overland Park, Kansas) advises clients on estate planning and administration, charitable planning and trust administration, as well as wills, probate and business succession planning. His clients include high net worth individuals and families, business owners and charitable organizations. A Chambers source said, “"He is very pleasant, easy to work with and knowledgeable. … His sophistication level is top-notch."
- Ruth Brackney* (Overland Park, Kansas) prepares analysis and recommendations on sophisticated estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax issues. "I can always reach her. Her service, communication and responsiveness are very good. She is very capable technically too," said a Chambers source. Another source said, "She is timely, thorough and she cares. She is a sincere, caring person."
- Peter W. Brown (Overland Park, Kansas) advises individuals and businesses on estate planning, business planning and tax matters. A source said, "He is a great adviser. He provides great advice and he is very sage." Another said, "He is our main confidant and adviser. His opinion is instrumental to us."
- Ann B. Burns (Minneapolis, Minnesota), also a certified public accountant, advises on a range of matters, including estate planning and administration, business succession planning and charitable planning. According to market insiders, Ann is considered "the most respected estate planner in the Twin Cities." Sources say, “She is truly the best of the best and is deserving of every superlative lauded upon her. … Ann is probably the best all-around attorney I have worked with, consistently demonstrating superb technical skills and excellent judgement. … She is approachable and has a good way of translating the super complex stuff into something that clients can relate to."
- James D. Lamm (Minneapolis, Minnesota) advises high net worth clients on estate planning and tax matters. Jim "is extremely intelligent and possesses encyclopedic knowledge of estate law and planning opportunities. He is able to distil extremely complex matters into simple, actionable explanations for his clients, and he takes great care in executing their plans and documents," said a source.
- Scott H. Malin (St. Louis, Missouri) advises high net worth individuals and business owners on wealth transfer and tax matters. A source said, "Scott was outstanding. He speaks in a language that lay people can understand. He was warm, engaging and extremely knowledgeable." Another source said, "He's thoughtful, even-keeled in his manner and extremely responsive to my needs, including responding to enquiries on evenings and weekends."
- Marya Robben* (Minneapolis, Minnesota) practices in the areas of estate planning, estate and gift taxation, fiduciary representation, probate administration, trust administration, and contested cases. Sources described Marya as "very thoughtful, very personable lawyer … experienced, engaged, proactive and a good analytical thinker." An interviewee said, "I have been impressed by her knowledge and the way she is with clients. She is very intelligent and professional."
- Matthew J. Shea (Minneapolis, Minnesota) advises high net worth individuals, families and business owners on estate planning and administration, business succession and tax matters. Matt is "very thorough, patient and knowledgeable. … He's got great communication skills which he uses to educate us as we navigate through the complex world of efficient tax planning and estate planning while meeting our stated objective," said a source.
- Edward Tully* (Minneapolis, Minnesota) practices in the areas of estate planning, trust administration, business planning matters, and corporate law. A source said, Edward "is very pleasant and professional and brings deep technical experience to our relationship." A market insider said, "I was amazed by his knowledge and how he made the complex understandable for my client. … He is so impressive in that he wows you with his capabilities. He is down-to-earth and connects with any type of personality. He will exceed any client's expectation."
Lathrop GPM’s Trusts, Estates & Legacy Planning group is experienced in the nuances and complexities of wealth strategies, estate and transfer tax planning, standing as one of the largest and established trust and estates groups in the Upper and Central Midwest. The team offers comprehensive estate and wealth planning strategies for individuals and multigenerational families with significant wealth (and the advisors who support them), nonprofit foundations and family offices — employing savvy navigation of the ever-changing tax landscape, the most cutting-edge estate planning techniques and, when needed, advocacy in disputes involving trusts or estates.
The Chambers and Partners High Net Worth guide ranks the top lawyers and law firms specifically focusing on private wealth management work in key jurisdictions around the world. Chambers' distinguished recognition ranks individual lawyers based on their legal knowledge, experience, ability, effectiveness and client service. Firm areas recognized are ranked based on the effectiveness, capability, strength and depth of the department as a whole.