Thomas V. Murray
Tom Murray has handled numerous trials in state and federal courts, including related appellate cases, since 1972. His extensive litigation practice has encompassed complex business, commercial, labor and financial cases, insurance defense and personal injury litigation, insurance coverage litigation and real estate litigation.
Recent examples of Tom’s client representations include:
- Successful representation of a prominent Kansas municipality on claims brought against it seeking to enforce a guaranty of a third party’s loan obligation on a City-backed development project. Decision of Kansas Court of Appeals, affirming that of the trial court, reported at 58 Kan. App. 2d 877, 476 P.3d 1 (2020).
- Successful representation of a major state agency in obtaining a complete dismissal of all claims of employment discrimination asserted against it in a federal court lawsuit, and successfully resolving the case after the plaintiff appealed (2020).
- Successful representation of a prominent Kansas municipality on claims brought against it seeking to require the City to issue STAR bonds related to a local raceway project. Decision of Kansas Supreme Court, reversing decision of Kansas Court of Appeals and affirming that of the trial court, reported at 313 Kan. 149, 484 P.3d 250 (2021).
In addition, Tom has defended legal malpractice claims of all kinds, and has also testified as an expert witness in legal malpractice cases on multiple occasions.
Tom has also handled significant banking litigation matters, in particular lender liability cases. His depth of knowledge in this area of the law is enhanced by his having served on the board of directors of a national bank for twelve years.
- Numerous speaking presentations at local, state, national and international levels on topics related to trial practice, evidence, bank litigation (lender liability), finance and labor and employment.
- Summary Repossession, Replevin, and Foreclosure of Security Interests, 46 J.B.A.K. 93 (1977)
- Interest and Usury in Kansas: Current Developments, 50 J.B.A.K. 270 (1981)
- Insurance Defense Counsel - Conflicts of Interest, 41 F.I.C.C. Quarterly 283 (1991)
- November 16, 2021
- November 16, 2020
- November 13, 2019
- November 14, 2018
- November 9, 2017
- October 9, 2014
- October 14, 2013
- July 1, 2010
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Kansas Bar Foundation, Trustee, 1999-2005
- Kansas Board of Law Examiners, 1995-2013; Chairman, 2006-2013
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, Regional Vice President, 1994-1997; Director, 1997-1999
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, Director, 1993-1998
- Kansas Bar Association, Corporation, Banking and Business Law Section, President, 1982-1983
- University of Kansas School of Law, Adjunct Professor, 1980 (Evidence); Lecturer, Bar Review Course, 1975-1982 (Evidence)
- The University of Kansas, The Hall Center for the Humanities, Advisory Board, 1988-2017
- Lawrence Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 1993-1995
- Lawrence Public Schools, USD 497, Board of Education, 1991-1995
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers 2013-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Rating
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law; Who’s Who In America
- Named Chairman of Kansas Board of Law Examiners, 2006
Overland Park7300 West 110th StreetSuite 150Overland Park, KS 66210
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Supreme Court
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1972
University of Kansas, B.A., 1969