Kara P. Gray
Kara Gray focuses her practice on estate planning, estate and trust administrations, business succession planning, and charitable giving. She works closely with clients to develop an estate plan that achieves their legacy goals and minimizes taxes through the implementation of various estate planning strategies, including grantor retained annuity trusts, intentionally defective grantor trusts, spousal lifetime access trusts, and irrevocable life insurance trusts.
- Represent fiduciary of complex estate and trust administration exceeding $100M involving various irrevocable trusts and business interests.
- Advise client on comprehensive estate planning and business succession needs with net-worth of $150M, including the implementation of grantor retained annuity trusts and irrevocable dynasty trusts.
- Create estate plan for client saving $45M in estate taxes due to implementation of sales and gifts to intentionally defective grantor trusts, charitable giving techniques, and grantor retained annuity trusts.
- Represent client in formation of entity and sale and gift of interest to spousal lifetime access trust to achieve legacy goals and minimize estate tax.
- January 11, 2023
- “Your First Will and Trust: Key Considerations When Drafting Your First Will and Trust,” Minnesota State Bar Association, 2019 Probate & Trust Law Section ConferenceJune 10, 2019
- January 18, 2019
- “Drafting Basic Wills and Trusts in Minnesota: A Primer,” Minnesota CLE, Washington County Bar AssociationNovember 21, 2018
- “The Nuts and Bolts of a 21st Century Estate Plan,” Minnesota Paralegal Association, 2018 MPA Annual ConventionMay 24, 2018
- January 19, 2018
- Co-presenter, "Estate Planning Strategies for a Pandemic: Leveraging Uncertainty in a Locked-Down World,” Minnesota CLE, Live Webcast Seminar, June 22, 2021
- Co-presenter, "Build Your Knowledge - Duty of Loyalty," Lathrop GPM Trustee Bootcamp Session 2, January 11, 2023
Client Alerts and Blog Posts
In the News
- July 18, 2023
- January 3, 2023
- June 14, 2019
- November 7, 2017
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association New Lawyers Section, Diversity Committee Co-Chair, 2016-2019
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Pathfinders Program, 2022
- Children's Law Center of Minnesota, Board of Directors, 2022-present
- Wills for Heroes, volunteer attorney, 2015-2019
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice and Mitchell Mentors, student mentor, 2015-present
- Thomson Reuters, "Minnesota Rising Star," 2023
- "North Star Lawyers," Minnesota State Bar Association 2015-2016, 2018
80 South Eighth Street3100 IDS CenterMinneapolis, MN 55402
William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2015
- Judicial Extern, The Hon. Gregg E. Johnson
- Uvaldo Herrera Moot Court Competition
- Street Law volunteer, Minnesota Justice Foundation
University of Denver, Daniels College of Business, B.S./B.A., 2010