Financial Institutions & Real Estate
Lathrop GPM structures and analyzes the tax issues involved with:
- Like-kind real estate exchanges
- Structuring limited liability companies and other entities to own real estate
- Loan modifications
- Below-market interest rate loans/interest imputation issues
- Low-income housing tax credits
- Rehabilitation tax credits
- Cancellation of indebtedness
- Regulated investment companies, real estate mortgage investment conduits, and real estate investment trusts and financial institutions taken over by regulators
- Representing clients in simultaneous and deferred tax-free, like-kind exchanges.
- Representing clients in “reverse” tax-free, like-kind exchanges.
- Advising clients regarding election of real estate investment trust status.
- Advising developers regarding low-income housing tax credit requirements and structuring transactions to permit investors to utilize such tax credits.
- Advising developers and investors regarding rehabilitation tax credit requirements and statutory transactions to qualify for the tax credits and structuring transactions to permit investors to utilize such tax credits.
- Representing clients in real estate tax appeals. A recent decision resulted in a refund of 2/3 of a client’s real estate taxes (plus interest) for several prior years, and established a valuation methodology that will save the company millions of dollars going forward.