Julie Nichols Matthews
Julie Nichols Matthews is an accomplished attorney and trusted business advisor with experience in strategic intellectual property counseling, business transactions, and marketing and advertising compliance. Julie advises clients in a range of industries, including consumer products, technology, manufacturing, food and beverage, travel, media and entertainment, and agribusiness.
Julie has extensive experience counseling global brands and consumer products companies on strategic brand protection matters, U.S. and international trademark registration, enforcement actions, licensing, and advertising and promotions. She regularly advises clients on a wide range of intellectual property issues relating to trademarks, copyrights, false advertising, sweepstakes and contests, privacy, rights of publicity, licensing, and fair use. Julie represents clients in trademark copyright and advertising disputes and regularly prosecutes applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Julie manages large global trademark portfolios and assists clients across industries in navigating new branding initiatives and enforcement disputes. She also represents clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Julie regularly drafts website policies, counsels on copyright registration and fair use, advertising compliance, social media best practices, product labeling and packaging issues, and compliance with federal laws and regulations including the Federal Trade Commission Act and guidelines, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
Julie also handles intellectual property transactional matters, including providing due diligence advice in connection with asset purchase and sale agreements and drafting and analysis of commercial agreements such as assignments, licenses, security agreements, distribution agreements, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, merchandising agreements, publishing agreements, work made for hire agreements, and independent contractor agreements.
Julie has been recognized by World Trademark Review as a leading practitioner in the trademark field.
- Presenter, “IP Strategy By Design: Using Design Rights to Protect Innovations,” PLI Advanced Trademark Law 2022, Practical Law Institute, March 9, 2022
- Presenter, "New Data Protection Regulations," Flexible Intermediate Bulk Container Association Conference, March 27, 2019
- Presenter, "Nuts and Bolts of Copyrights," Financial Poise Webinar, April 2018
- Presenter, “Advertising and Marketing Law 101,” American Dental Association, January 2017
- Presenter, “Introduction to Soft IP,” PIB Law, April 2016
- Panelist, “Nuts and Bolts of Copyrights,” Financial Poise Webinar, December 2015
- Panelist, “Choosing and Protecting Your Brand,” Financial Poise Webinar, May 2015
- Panelist, “Trade Secrets and Confidentiality,” Financial Poise Webinar, October 2014
- Presenter, “3D Printing: New Frontiers for Intellectual Property,” Chicago Bar Association, December 2013
- Presenter, "Trademarks for Startups" Strategies for Success," Entrepreneurs Unplugged Start-Up Law Summit, March 2013
- Presenter, “Using Online and Mobile for Branding, Distribution, Selling and Promotion,” Edwards Wildman Digital Salon, November 2012
- Presenter, “10 Ways to Advertise and Sell in the Internet Age and Stay on the Right Side of the Law,” Edwards Wildman webinar, October 2010
- Presenter, “Hot and Emerging Legal Issues,” in-house clinic for Mattel, Inc. Legal Department, El Segundo, CA, August 2008
- Presenter, “Trademark and Advertising Law,” in-house clinic for 7-Eleven, Inc. Legal Department and Area Managers, Dallas, TX, June 2004
- Presenter, “International Intellectual Property Protection,” in-house clinic for 7-Eleven, Inc. Legal Department and Area Managers, Dallas, TX, October 2002
- Author, "Spotlight on 3D Printing: Intellectual Property," Intellectual Property Strategist, October 2013
- Co-Author, "Social Media in the Digital Millennium," American Bar Association, Landslide Magazine, May 2013
- Co-Author, "A Delight for the Senses: Identifying and Protecting Non-Traditional Marks," World Trademark Review April/May 2013
- Author, “Revised ‘Green Guides’ for Environmentally Friendly Marketing Claims Released by FTC,” Edwards Wildman Client Advisory October 2012
- Author, “Federal Trade Commission ‘Rocks’ Social Gaming Site Operator for FTC Act and COPPA Violations,” Edwards Wildman DigiLaw Blog, March 2012
- Co-Author, “Makers of Four Loco Malt Beverage Banned from Deceptively Advertising Alcohol Content,” Edwards Wildman DigiLaw Blog, October 2011
- Co-Author, “Protecting Your Brand from “.XXX-ploitation,” Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, September 2011
- Co-Author, “What’s Next: ICANN’s New Generic Top-Level Domain Program,” Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, June 2011
- Author, “Contemplating a Charitable Sales Promotion? Think Before You Solicit,” FindLaw Corporate Counsel Center, Consumer Products Industry Center, November 2003
- September 12, 2017
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- American Bar Association
- Coalition of Women's Initiatives in Law
- "Leading Trademark Practitioner," World Trademark Review, 2015
155 North Wacker DriveSuite 3000Chicago, IL 60606-1787
- N.D. Illinois
- Supreme Court of the United States
The John Marshall Law School, LL.M., Intellectual Property, with Honors, 1997
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1994
Duke University, B.A., 1991