Jamison K. Shipman
Jami Shipman handles all aspects of federal income taxation, including entity formation and dissolution, corporate reorganization, S corporation issues, partnership and limited liability company issues, and tax disputes with the IRS. Jami has significant experience in rendering tax advice with respect to structuring and negotiating mergers and acquisitions.
Jami also advises public charities, private foundations, social welfare and other tax-exempt organizations on a variety of legal issues and transactions, including qualification for exempt status, charitable contributions, intermediate sanctions, private foundation rules, unrelated business income tax, for-profit subsidiaries, lobbying and political activities, and corporate governance.
In addition to handling federal income tax matters, Jami has substantial experience in dealing with state and local income, sales and use, franchise and other state taxes.
Prior to attending law school, Jami worked for two years as a staff accountant for the accounting firm BKD where he performed audits of companies in various industries, including construction, banking, manufacturing, and employee benefit plans.
Jami is currently an Assistant Professor at Rockhurst University.
- May 17, 2018
- Author, "The Challenges of Determining When to Deny Exemption Applications," Tax Notes Today, February 13, 2023
- Author, "IRS Focuses on UBI and Compensation," The Asset, Missouri Society of Certified Public Accountants, January 2014
- Author, "Contributions to Charity’s Wholly Owned LLC Deductible Under Long-Awaited Regs.," Taxation of Exempts, March/April 2013
- Author, "Private Foundations and Co-Investments - Another Reason There is No Self-Dealing," Taxation of Exempts, July/August 2012
- Author, "IRS Guidance on Contributions to a Charity’s Wholly Owned LLC Still Missing," Taxation of Exempts, September/October 2011
In the News
- April 2, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- January 27, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- December 17, 2010
- October 18, 2010
- July 12, 2010
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Society of CPAs
- State of Missouri, CPA Certification, 1999
- Nonprofit Connect, Board of Directors (2014 – Present)
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers “Rising Stars,” 2009, 2011 and 2012
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Order of the Coif
- William L. Burdick Prize - Number 1 in Class after first year
- Federal Tax Procedure Award - Top Grade in the Class
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, LL.M., 2005
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2003
University of Northern Iowa, B.A., 1997