Caroline A. H. Sayers
Caroline Sayers focuses her practice on complex business litigation, general counseling, and corporate and real estate transactions. She has been lead trial counsel in numerous matters and has litigated a wide range of national and international matters involving commercial contract disputes, unfair competition, commercial fraud, trademark, auditor liability, application of the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, and issues under the Hague Conventions for service of process and discovery abroad. Also a transactional lawyer, her practice includes counseling and advising clients in connection with a wide variety of corporate and real estate transactions so as to avoid litigation and minimize exposure to risk.
Caroline's notable professional achievements include:
- Defending a French bank and related French governmental entities in multiple lawsuits and regulatory actions relating to the rehabilitation of Executive Life Insurance Company in litigation spanning nearly a decade.
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of a foreign sovereign in a commercial fraud case involving claimed damages in excess of $800 million.
- Representing auditor in actions arising from investor claims and regulatory matters before the SEC and other agencies.
- Obtaining a dismissal with prejudice of all claims brought derivatively against a foreign sovereign in a lawsuit seeking nearly $100 million.
- Representing manufacturer in divestiture of contaminated manufacturing sites in various states so as to limit continuing obligations to monitor and remediate the sites.
- Representing manufacturer in all aspects of supply chain management, including obtaining regulated raw materials, manufacture of products, and transportation, sale, and labelling of products, so as to maximize business opportunities and minimize risk of liability.
- Counseling a syndicate of lenders on potential litigation issues in connection with the issuance of $3 billion aggregate principal amount of Revenue Anticipation Notes (or RANs) by the State of California, providing critical financing to the State.
- Co-Author, How Strong Corporate Guidance Can Prevent Seven-Figure Liability in Employment Cases, Attorney At Law Magazine, July 1, 2020
- Service of Process Pursuant to the Hague Convention and the Article 10 Controversy, Los Angeles County Bar Association International Law Newsletter, July 2009
- Patents: Will eBay's Rational Be Applied to Preliminary Injunctions?, The Practical Litigator, January 2008
In the News
- California State University - Northridge, Instructor, Business Law, International Business Law and Commercial Transactions
- Marymount California University, Board of Trustees, 2008 - Present; Executive Committee; Student Development Committee, Chair; Audit Committee, Member and Past Chair; Presidential Search Committee
2049 Century Park EastSuite 3500SLos Angeles, CA 90067-1623
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, J.D., cum laude, 2000
Georgetown University, B.A., 1995