Lathrop GPM Achieves Rankings in Three States with Six Attorneys Recognized in Chambers High Net Worth 2020
The Lathrop GPM Trusts, Estates & Legacy Planning Practice Group and six of its attorneys are highly ranked in the Chambers and Partners’ 2020 High Net Worth directory. Released today, the annual ranking honors Lathrop GPM with top rankings — Band 1 in Kansas and Minnesota and Band 2 in Missouri — in the Private Wealth Law category. In addition, six attorneys were included in the premier guide that ranks the top lawyers and law firms for serving clients in the private wealth area.
“Being ranked by Chambers and Partners is a significant honor for the firm and its attorneys, because it reflects our clients’ satisfaction, the sophistication of our work in trusts, estates and legacy planning, and our reputation among our peers,” said Lathrop GPM Managing Partner Cameron Garrison. “The Lathrop GPM culture is founded upon a client-first mentality, and Chambers relies heavily upon client feedback.”
The six Lathrop GPM attorneys ranked, two for the first time*, are as follows:
- Jim B. Betterman (Overland Park, Kansas) advises clients on estate planning and administration, charitable planning and trust administration, as well as wills, probate and business succession planning. His clients include high net worth individuals and families, business owners and charitable organizations.
- Peter W. Brown (Overland Park, Kansas) advises individuals and businesses on estate planning, business planning and tax matters. A source said, “He is excellent – it’s his knowledge and ideas. He brings solutions to challenging problems. He is very efficient.” Another said, “He has a very sharp business mind as well, which is important for family businesses.”
- Ann B. Burns (Minneapolis, Minnesota), also a certified public accountant, advises on a range of matters, including estate planning and administration, business succession planning and charitable planning. A source said, “She is an excellent lawyer, she is wonderful, thoughtful and engaging,” and a fellow attorney added, “she is extremely well regarded and for good reason.”
- James D. Lamm* (Minneapolis, Minnesota) advises high net worth clients on estate planning and tax matters. The ranking points to praise he received for both his technical ability and his community-minded approach to his work, one source said, “He is the technician, a tax guru, a maestro.” Another stated that “he is technically incredibly sound and tireless in his work for his clients and the greater community.”
- Scott H. Malin (St. Louis, Missouri) advises high net worth individuals and business owners on wealth transfer and tax matters. “He is an awesome attorney,” a source said. “He is very sophisticated from an experience and knowledge standpoint but also has a tremendous ability to communicate with clients,” added another. A third stated Malin has a “very deep knowledge of partnership and corporate matters.”
- Matthew J. Shea* (Minneapolis, Minneapolis) advises high net worth individuals, families and business owners on estate planning and administration, business succession and tax matters. The ranking reports a source saying, “He is an exceptional lawyer.” Another said, “He is a smart attorney, he is thorough and knows estate planning.”
Lathrop GPM’s Trusts, Estates & Legacy Planning group comprises 34 lawyers and 9 additional professionals, with decades of experience in the nuances and complexities of wealth strategies, estate and transfer tax planning, standing as one of the largest, most well-known and established Trusts, Estates & Legacy Planning groups in the Upper and Central Midwest. The team offers comprehensive estate and wealth planning strategies for individuals and multigenerational families with significant wealth (and the advisors who support them), nonprofit foundations and family offices — employing savvy navigation of the ever-changing tax landscape, the most cutting-edge estate planning techniques and, when needed, advocacy in disputes involving trusts or estates.
The Chambers and Partners High Net Worth guide ranks the top lawyers and law firms specifically focusing on private wealth management work in key jurisdictions around the world. Chambers' distinguished recognition ranks individual lawyers based on their legal knowledge, experience, ability, effectiveness and client service. Firm areas recognized are ranked based on the effectiveness, capability, strength and depth of the department as a whole.