William A. Scofield, Jr.
William Scofield has more than 30 years of experience representing manufacturers of medical devices, scientific instruments, avionics equipment, and other technologies, including litigation, trademarks, copyrights, licensing, and counseling. He has significant experience in intellectual property litigation, including plaintiff’s and defendant’s cases involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
He has represented a diverse group of clients in matters involving technologies such as semiconductors, medical devices, high-speed liquid chromatography, viscometers, biotechnology, and drug development screening.
William’s notable experience includes:
- Several decades of experience representing a New England-based manufacturer of chest drains, infusion catheters, covered stents, coated mesh, vascular grafts, and other medical devices, including patent litigation, trademark prosecution and portfolio development and management, licensing, and general advice and counseling.
- Successfully represented a start-up drug discovery biotechnology company accused of patent infringement during IPO.
- Representing a technology design firm in multiple cases involving its intellectual property rights to certain wired and wireless telecommunication systems for portable access to Internet and phone service.
- Successfully represented a defendant in a patent infringement case involving outdoor positioning systems that use radio frequency signals to track and locate critical, portable devices and personnel in large healthcare facilities.
- Successfully represented a major scientific instrument manufacturer in a patent infringement action related to viscometer used in high performance liquid chromatography analytical system. Jury verdict of non-infringement upheld on appeal.
- Successfully represented a plaintiff in a case involving misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition in the sale of high-speed liquid chromatography systems.
- Successfully represented a defendant in a patent infringement case involving compensation of avionics instruments installed onboard an aircraft.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2006-2011
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- North Shore Community Mediation Center, Board of Directors, former member; Mediator
28 State StreetSuite 700Boston, MA 02109
Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1978
Wesleyan University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1972