Coupled with his pragmatic and solution-oriented approach, Issaku is known to provide swift, efficient responses to clients' needs. He says, "Faced with complex scenarios, I cut straight to the chase, identifying problems and promptly proposing practical solutions to keep clients' deals moving in the intended direction."
Issaku Yamaashi is a partner in the Business Transactions group. Whether a small business or a multinational corporation, Issaku's focus is to identify and counsel clients on the solution to legal challenges. He is a proven problem solver, adept at navigating intricate situations and delivering practical solutions quickly and efficiently. His experience spans healthcare, real estate, service industries, manufacturing, transportation, and other sectors. Issaku's fluency in Japanese enhances his ability to interact with clients, adding a unique facet to his communication skills.
With a wealth of experience, Issaku helps clients with the legal strategy and management of:
- Business entity ownership issues
- Commercial real estate transactions
- General business legal matters
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Securities transactions
- Software licensing
As a business lawyer who handles a large number of mergers and acquisitions, Issaku enjoys every opportunity to learn about clients' businesses - how they operate, how they manage people, their objectives, customers, markets and legal challenges. He said, "It is exciting for me to learn and be able to help clients meet their business goals."
Working with Issaku means aligning your business with a proven problem solver, adept at navigating intricate situations and delivering practical solutions quickly and efficiently.
WHEN ASKED ...
Why did you become a lawyer?
I somewhat stumbled into the legal profession. I was born in Japan and grew up in Australia. I completed high school in the U.S. and went to college in Chicago. I was a foreign student looking to further my U.S.-based education. Law was an interesting area to study. Once I got to law school, something clicked, and I never looked back.
What do you do outside of work?
I love doing things with my wife and three daughters. We have family in Kansas, Texas, Japan, and Italy, so there is lots of traveling. Otherwise, my passion is music. I've played the guitar in many bands until COVID hit. I hope to do so again soon as I am an active participant in the regional music scene.
- Represented a real estate company in a private securities offering and negotiation of financing agreements in connection with a $250 million real estate transaction.
- Represented seller in a $90 million divestiture of a healthcare practice to a private equity.
- Represented specialized private equity in a $50 million divestiture of food manufacturing business.
- Represented seller in a $45 million sale of a group of transportation companies to private equity.
- Represented a buyer in the aviation industry in a complex acquisition of a business division of publicly traded corporation.
- Represented a health care provider in the creation of a regional partnership with a hospital system.
- Represented issuers in over 100 private placements of securities in various industries such as healthcare, real estate, and banking, including a $56 million private offering for a real estate project.
In the News
- January 29, 2024
- January 26, 2024
- January 26, 2024
- January 26, 2024
- Johnson County Bar Association, Member
- Journal of the Kansas Bar Association, Member of the Board of Editors
- Kansas Bar Association, Member
- University of Kansas Law School Diversity Advisory Council, Founding Member
- InterUrban ArtHouse, Board Member
- Past Board President
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2021-2024
- Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A, 2022-2023
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2000
- Notes and Comments Editor, University of Kansas Law Review
University of Chicago, B.A., Economics, 1996
Fluent in Japanese