Dale A. Werts
Dale Werts focuses his practice on technology transfers and commercialization, corporate and general business law, and mergers and acquisitions. His technology experience includes data-related issues, blockchain technology implementation and cryptocurrency-related issues, virtual property transfers, software and technology licensing, hardware acquisition agreements, vendor and affiliate arrangements and offshore structures.
Acquisitions, Dispositions and Corporate Finance Transactions
- Represented financial services providers in multiple transactions involving their purchases and sales of insurance company, insurance agency and administrative subsidiaries and significant blocks of life, disability and health insurance policies and annuities (by assumption reinsurance or indemnity coinsurance reinsurance). These transactions (exceeding $3 billion in aggregate value of assets transferred) involved multiple parties, various regulatory, transition, integration and financing issues and ancillary administration and operational agreements and issues.
- Represented Sprint Corporation and its affiliates in various acquisition and disposition transactions involving both telecom assets and PIPEs exceeding $2 billion in value, including the sale to Omnipoint Corporation (a predecessor of T-Mobile) of the GSM System owned by a partnership that held a broadband personal communications services license for the Washington, D.C./Baltimore major trading area.
- Represented a financial services provider in connection with its $315 million joint venture with a real estate development firm to redevelop an historic government structure in Kansas City for a new government use.
- Represented a financial services provider in its $100 million secured Rule 144A note offering.
- Represented a financial services company in its $150 million split-off of an insurance premium financing company subsidiary.
- Represented a lodging owner and operator in its $90 million sale of a chain of hotels in Mississippi, Kansas and California through an auction process.
- Represented an angel investor in its $15 million investment in a pharmaceutical development company and subsequent financing arrangements.
- Represented a venture capital company in its private investment (involving stock and warrants) in a publicly traded corporation engaged in the importation and sale of furniture products.
- Represented buyers in many other transactions, including acquisitions of a paper company, a candy company, retail card and gift shops, a retail shoe store chain, a cabinet manufacturer, a printing company, a state bank, a bank holding company, a water and sewer utility, a farm implement dealership, computer software and hardware, a medical equipment product line and jet aircraft.
- Represented sellers in many other transactions, including (a) dispositions of the stock of a playing card manufacturer, a retail sign company, a casualty restoration construction company and a pari-mutuel racing company, and (b) dispositions of the assets of a railroad air brake business, multi-player online gaming company, a bankrupt computer hardware distributor, a distressed candy manufacturer, a chain of fast food franchises, an agricultural pharmaceutical company’s biological autogenous vaccine division and a commercial construction company.
- Represented clients in many other corporate finance transactions, including venture capital investments and financings, stock offerings, private placements, conventional financings industrial and municipal revenue bonds.
Structuring, Negotiating, Implementing and Managing Strategic Alliances
- Represented a surgical and burn medical instrument manufacture in negotiating and implementing distributorship agreements with distributors in Italy, France, Israel, Spain and Portugal.
- Represented a public food products manufacturer in negotiating and implementing enterprise software license and maintenance agreements with software providers.
- Represented a public motion picture exhibition company in negotiating, implementing and managing (a) box office, human resources and advertising tracking software licenses and maintenance agreements with software providers, (b) a joint venture with a minority-owned entity to create and operate an inner city motion picture theatre chain, (c) joint ventures with developers to build and operate motion picture exhibition theatres in Thailand, Hong Kong, the People’s Republic of China, Japan and Taiwan, (d) strategic beverage supply agreements with a major soft drink company for all of the client’s locations in the United States and Canada, (e) gift card distribution and sales agreements with various retailers, and (f) a beverage supply agreement with a frozen drink vendor.
- Represented Sprint Corporation in (a) negotiating a strategic network agreement with Sprint Canada and COLAS S.A. (a global French construction company) involving the integration and management of a global integrated network in Canada, the United States and France, and (b) negotiating and implementing a strategic software licensing, support and services agreements with Z-Tel Communications, Inc. for the resale of local wireline telecommunications services and ancillary services.
- Represented an envelope manufacturer in structuring and negotiating a joint venture with a French company and a Hungarian company for the manufacturing and distribution of products in Europe and the construction of a manufacturing facility in Russia.
- Represented a financial services provider in structuring, negotiating, implementing and managing a joint venture with an individual life insurance agent and 12 of their affiliate companies involving (i) the purchase of a half interest in an annuity servicing company, (ii) the sale of a half interest in a life insurance company, (iii) the formation of a jointly held holding company, (iv) multiple indemnity coinsurance and modified indemnity coinsurance arrangements involving life insurance business generated by the individual life insurance agent, (v) multiple servicing agreements for the administration of such life insurance business, and (vi) multiple marketing and product development arrangements between the life insurance agent and various life insurance companies.
- Represented a financial services provider in negotiating and implementing marketing and reinsurance arrangements with third parties, including a national union benefits organization and life insurance sales organizations.
- Represented a sportswear manufacturer in structuring, negotiating and implementing a joint venture with a Canadian clothing company for the distribution and sale of sportswear in Canada.
- Represented an international women’s religious organization in connection with its staging of meetings and international conventions throughout North America.
- Kansas City Business Journal, “Best of the Bar”, 2019
- National Law Journal's "Cryptocurrency/Blockchain/Fintech Trailblazer," 2018
- Techweek 100 List, "Ambassador," 2018
- Boy Scouts of America, "Silver Beaver Award," 2015
- Missouri Super Lawyers, 2010-2012
- Northland Chamber of Commerce, “Excellence in Education Award," 2009, 2012
- Chambers USA, Missouri Corporate, 2005 - 2007
- White House Conference on Small Business, "Delegate and Region 7 Implementation Chair for Capital Formation," 1995
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, "Centurions Leadership Program"
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- American Bar Association, Business and International Law Sections
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City, Board of Directors and Young Lawyers Section, Past Member
- The Missouri Bar
- Baker University Alumni Association, Board of Directors, Past Vice President; Benefit Auction Committee, Past Co-Chair
- Boy Scouts of America, Troop 714, Assistant Scoutmaster, Past Committee Chair; Pony Express Council, Vice President-Finance, Executive Committee, Facilities Committee and Camping Committee; Wood Badge Staff and Participant; Philmont Leadership Challenge Participant; Summit Leadership Challenge/NAYLE Staff; National Jamboree Staff, 2013, 2017; Silver Beaver Distinguished Service Award, 2015; National Youth Leadership Training Course Director; Tribe of Mic-O-Say, Tribal Council; FEMA Storm Shelter Project Manager
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Centurions; Steering Committee, Past Member
- Kansas City Attorneys for the Arts, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, Missouri District, Board of Directors, 2018-2020; Finance Committee
- Northland Lutheran School Association, School Board, Past President; Board of Delegates, Past Member
- Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity, Board of Governors, 2018-2020; NUTS Society; Kansas Alpha Alumni Association, Past President; Carlson Leadership Academy; “Life After College” Faculty
- John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Secretary; Past President; Elder; Sunday School Teacher
- Timothy Lutheran Church, Endowment Fund Committee and Personnel Committee, Past Chair; Board of Stewardship and Building Committee, Past Member
- Quoted ,Confusion and Challenges, Missouri Lawyers Media, June/July 2019
- Co-Author, Bitcoin Lessons from Venezuela, Where Hyperinflation Reigns, Lathrop Gage Legal Alert, July 12, 2018
- Co-Author, Blockchain and Cryptocurrency: State Law Roundup, Lathrop Gage Legal Alert, July 9, 2018
- Co-Author, Cryptocurrency 101, Lathrop Gage Legal Alert, April 9, 2018
- Co-Author, Cryptocurrency Taxation, Lathrop Gage Legal Alert, March 26, 2018
- Panelist, Blockchains and Cryptocurrencies: What the GC Needs to Know to Advise the Business and Protect the Board, First Chair Awards Conference & Gala, Chicago, IL, August 28, 2019
- Panelist, Mid-Term Elections Rewind and Fast-Forward: Deciphering Change at Microsoft, Washington, DC, November 8, 2018
- Moderator, Regulation of Crypto, Tokens & Initial Coin Offerings, Kansas City Techweek, October 9, 2018
- Speaker, Blockchain and Cryptocurrency, Baker University, September 15, 2018
- October 25, 2019
- Mara Cohara, Rosalee McNamara and Dale Werts Profiled in Kansas City Business Journal's Best of Bar Special IssueOctober 25, 2019
- September 5, 2019
- April 22, 2019
- September 24, 2018
- December 11, 2014
- August 29, 2019
- National Law Journal Recognizes Dale Werts as a 2018 “Cryptocurrency/Blockchain/Fintech Trailblazer”September 1, 2018
- October 15, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- October 13, 2010
- June 13, 2008
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
Washington University School of Law, J.D., 1988
- Washington University Journal of Urban & Contemporary Law, Managing Editor; Staff Member
Washington University in St. Louis, M.B.A. candidate, 1988
Baker University, B.A., cum laude, 1984