Curtis L. Tideman
Curtis Tideman has over 25 years of litigation experience encompassing substantive areas which include: (i) complex commercial contracts; (ii) labor and employment; (iii) trade secrets and covenants not to compete; (iv) banking litigation including debtor/creditor rights; (v) healthcare business disputes; (vi) insurance defense and coverage issues; (vii) personal injury; (viii) trust and estate litigation. He is a frequent speaker and writer on issues of litigation, employment and education law.
A leading education law attorney, Curtis' experience includes constitutional law, collective bargaining, arbitration and due process, teacher discipline, student discipline, special education, land use, open records, open meetings, election law and other litigation involving public institutions. He regularly counsels public institutions on day-to-day operation, risk management and legal issues.
- Citizens State Bank v. Henrich (Buena Vista County, Iowa 1985) (jury verdict enforcing commercial loan guaranty against defense of forged document).
- Hershberger v. Buena Vista County, 391 N.W.2d, 217 (Iowa 1986) (reversing dismissal of personal injury claim based upon governmental immunity).
- Pensacola Construction v. Tyger Construction (U.S.D.C., E.D.Va. 1989) ($5.6 million jury verdict based upon fraud in the inducement of a joint venture agreement).
- Mark Twain Kansas City Bank v. Cates, 248 Kan. 700, 810 P.2d 1154 (1991) (affirming trial court’s decision that dragnet mortgage clause on homestead did not secure bank debt).
- K.C. Roofing Center v. On Top Roofing, 807 S.W.2d 545 (Mo. App. 1991) (successful defense of spouse of roofing company principal from personal liability on theory of piercing corporate veil).
- H. Wayne Palmer and Assoc. v. Heldor Industries (U.S.D.C. Kansas 1992) ($565,000 jury verdict in property damage/business interruption claim resulting from fire).
- Wilson v. Motel 6 (Shawnee County, Kansas 1992) (defense verdict in personal injury/premises liability claim).
- Taliaferro v. Taliaferro, 252 Kan. 192, 843 P.2d 240 (1992) (reversing district court interpretation of spousal elective share statute).
- Bagsby v. McCray (Wyandotte County, Kansas 1993) (defense verdict in personal injury/premises liability claim).
- Sansone v. Moseley, 912 S.W.2d 666 (Mo. App. 1995) (affirming trial court judgment piercing corporate veil).
- McGirr v. Monumental General Life Insurance Co. (Kan. App. 1995) (affirming trial court judgment that death benefit was not payable).
- Gear For Sports v. Mohawk Carpet (Johnson County, Kansas 2000) (jury verdict in favor of plaintiff on claims for violation of implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose).
- Caldwell-Baker Company v. Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway (Kan. App. 2000, docket # 82572) (affirming Wyandotte County District Court’s dismissal of all tort claims arising out of use of railcars under lease).
- Baker Group v. Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, 228 F.3d 883 (8th Cir. 2000) (affirming district court’s summary judgment on tort claims and dismissal of contract claims at close of all evidence) (remaining claims dismissed at trial).
- Commerce Bank v. Blasdell (Mo. Ct. App. 2004, docket # WD6194) (affirming Jackson County District Court's finding of tortuous interference with inheritance expectancy) (believed to be the first claim for tortuous interference with inheritance expectancy to withstand appeal in the State of Missouri).
- Eubanks v. U.S.D. 512, (2001 arbitration award) (denying grievance claiming termination without just cause).
- Martinez v. U.S.D. 512, (2003 arbitration award) (denying grievance claiming termination without just cause).
- Bonner Springs U.S.D. 204 v. Blue Valley U.S.D. 229, (Kan. App. 2004) (affirming trial court denial of injunctive relief to prevent collection of sales tax for schools).
- Roth v. U.S.D. 512 (2005 arbitration award) (denying grievance claiming termination without just cause).
- Caldwell-Baker Company v. Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway (Kan. App. 2006, docket # 93,165) (reducing jury verdict below offer of judgment in claim for breach of railcar lease).
- Montoy v. State of Kansas, 278 Kan. 769, 102 P.3d 1160 (2005) (reversing trial court finding that Kansas school funding formula violated Equal Protection clauses of Kansas and U.S. Constitutions).
- Sayler v. American Media Investments (Crawford County, KS 2006) (defense verdict on claim of fraud in promise of stock ownership).
- Ryan v. Shawnee Mission Unified School District (U.S.D.C. KS 2006) (defense verdict on plaintiff’s claim of retaliation and constructive discharge).
- Montoy v. State of Kansas, 282 Kan. 9, 138 P.3d 755 (2006) (rejecting plaintiff’s claim that revised funding formula failed to comply with constitutional requirements).
- Raggett v. U.S.D. 512 (2007 arbitration award) (denying union grievance requesting interpretation of personal leave and bereavement leave under collective bargaining agreement).
- Sentis v. Shell Oil Co., 559 F.3d 888 (8th Cir. 2009) (reversal of trial court dismissal of claims).
- Rural Water District No. 4 v. City of Eudora, 659 F.3d 969 (10th Cir. 2011) (reversal of jury verdict finding statutory violations).
- Rural Water District No. 4 v. City of Eudora, 720 F.3d 1269 (10th Cir. 2013) (dismissing claims of statutory violations against City of Eudora).
- Riordan v. Phoenix Urology (2013 arbitration award) (denying claims for value of stock, alter ego and violations of Stark and Anti-kickback laws).
- Civil Procedure, Blue Valley CAPS Program, 2012-2013
- Education Management and Administration, KU Edwards Campus, November 6, 2012
- School Speech Symposium, UMKC School of Law, September 20, 2012
- Taking the High Ground in the Culture War, Lathrop Gage, Fall 2010
- Getting It Right: Practical Tips for Handling Speech Issues in the School Setting, UMKC School of Law, November 10, 2009
- Education Law, Ottawa University, Spring 2008
In the News
- Lathrop GPM Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America©, Lawyer of the Year, and Ones to Watch for 2021August 20, 2020
- November 13, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- November 14, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- July 23, 2018
- November 9, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- October 14, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- October 15, 2012
- August 22, 2012
- November 1, 2011
- October 13, 2010
- August 6, 2010
- August 3, 2009
- March 30, 2009
- City Attorneys Association of Kansas
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Kansas School Attorneys Association
- Johnson County Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2007-2008
- Shawnee Mission Education Foundation, Corporate Council, Steering Committee
- Leawood Chamber of Commerce, Government Relations Committee, Chair, 2005-2007
- Children’s Mercy Hands & Hearts for Children, Auction Co-Chair, 2000
- Blue Valley Educational Foundation, President, 2001-02; Board Member, 1999-2005
- United Way, Citizen Review Team Chair, 1991-1993
- Named the Overland Park, Kan. Education Law “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers, 2014, 2016
- Named the Kansas City, Kan. Education Law “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers, 2014
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2010-2018
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2010-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating
- Assistant Editor, Creighton Law Review, 1984-85
- Creighton Moot Court Board, 1984-85
- Regents Scholarship Recipient, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1978
10851 Mastin BoulevardBuilding 82, Suite 1000Overland Park, KS 66210-1669
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
Creighton University School of Law, J.D., 1985
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, B.A., 1982