Alison E. Zinn
Alison Zinn is a trial attorney focused on trust and estate litigation and elder law. She is committed to helping families work through and resolve intricate situations that involve inherited property when a loved one dies as well as situations where a loved one is disabled or incapacitated. More specifically, she handles disputes concerning wills, trusts, probate fiduciaries, beneficiaries, guardianships, and conservatorships. Alison also accepts appointments to serve as guardian ad litem.
Alison is well-versed in all areas of trial strategy. Despite her experience with large and complex matters, Alison also enjoys working closely with families on a much smaller scale.
Before turning her focus to trust and estate litigation, Alison represented a variety of commercial clients in areas that include banking, mortgage-backed securities, insurance, and construction defect litigation.
- Panelist at October 21, 2020, 1st Judicial Bar Association, “We Want You: How to Apply for Judgeship in the 1st JD,” Golden, Colorado.
- Lecturer at September 26, 2019, Rocky Mountain Area Conference for Finance and Accounting Professionals, “If you Wrestle With a Pig You Might Get Dirty,” Arvada, Colorado.
- Panelist at September 20, 2019, 1st Judicial Bar Association, “We Want You: How to Apply for Judgeship in the 1st JD,” Golden, Colorado.
- Faculty at June 6-8, 2019, Colorado Legal Education Seminar, “Back to Basics for the Courtroom,” Vail, Colorado.
- Co-Lecturer at February 27, 2019, “Practical Tips and Considerations Under the Colorado Uniform Trust Code,” sponsored by Lathrop Gage, Denver, CO.
- Faculty at December 6-8, 2018, “Rocky Mountain Deposition Skills Program,” sponsored by National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Boulder, CO.
- Lecturer at November 6, 2018, “Top 10 Tips for the Professional Fiduciary to Avoid Litigation,” sponsored by Lathrop Gage, Overland Park, KS.
- Lecturer at October 17, 2018, “Top 10 Tips for the Professional Fiduciary to Avoid Litigation,” sponsored by Lathrop Gage, Denver, CO.
- Lecturer at October 11, 2018, “Top 10 Tips for the Professional Fiduciary to Avoid Litigation,” sponsored by Lathrop Gage, Kansas City, MO.
- Lecturer at May 17, 2018, “Back to Basics for the Courtroom,” sponsored by the CBA Trust and Estate Section, Denver, CO.
- Lecturer at April 3, 2018, “Working with GALs: Inside the World of a Problem Solver,” sponsored by the CBA Trust and Estate Section, Denver, CO.
- Lecturer at April 12, 2017, “Mental Capacity,” sponsored by the El Paso Bar Association Trust & Estate Section in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Lecturer at March 17, 2017, “When Guardianship Will Only Make Things Worse,” sponsored by the CBA Trust and Estate Section (Spring Update) Denver, Colorado.
- Lecturer at May 4, 2016, “Attorney-Client Privilege” Trusts and Estates Lunch & Learn Series
Complimentary Seminar, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
- Lecturer at August 8, 2015, Family Law Institute, “Divorce, Dementia, and Disability…Not So Happily Ever After,” sponsored by Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc., Denver, Colorado.
- Panelist at October 24, 2014, program, “Presidential Pathways: Navigating the Leadership Pipeline in CBA, DBA, and CWBA,” Colorado Bar Association and Colorado Women’s Bar Association Program, Denver, Colorado.
- Panelist at March 5, 2015, program, “The Grit Project,” Colorado Women’s Bar Association Program, Denver, Colorado.
- Lecturer at February 22, 2013, Continuing Legal Education Seminar, “Ethics and Advising the Fiduciary,” sponsored by Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc., Denver, Colorado.
- Lecturer at September 21, 2012, Continuing Legal Education Seminar, “Trial of a Will Contest,” sponsored by Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc., Denver, Colorado.
- Panelist at November 8, 2013, Colorado Women’s Bar Association Program, “Asserting Your Worth: Communicating with Confidence and Power,” Denver, Colorado.
- Panelist at January 10, 2013, Continuing Legal Education Seminar, “Bias and Discrimination Within the Legal Profession,” sponsored by Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Denver, Colorado.
- Featured, Top Women 2019, Law Week Colorado, May 6, 2019
- Co-Author, "Is Asset Protection Becoming Fertile Ground For Attorney Liability?" Colorado Bar Association, Counsel Notes, Fall 2010
- Featured, "Women's Bar Association Chief Alison Zinn Wants More Female Law Grads to Stay in Field," Denver Business Journal, August 15, 2014
- Featured, "The Colorado Women," 5280 Magazine, December 2013
- Lathrop GPM Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America©, Lawyer of the Year, and Ones to Watch for 2021August 20, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- March 25, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- Alison Zinn Appointed to Judicial District Nominating Commission for Colorado's 1st Judicial DistrictJanuary 10, 2018
- Lathrop Gage Boosts Wealth Strategies Practice in Colorado with Addition of Three Attorneys to Denver OfficeDecember 6, 2017
- Appointed as Commissioner to the Office of Public Guardianship (2019- Oct, 2021).
- Colorado Supreme Court Attorney Regulation Advisory Committee, appointed member 2020
- Appointed to Judicial Nominating Commission, 1st Judicial District, by Governor John Hickenlooper in 2017 for a seven-year term.
- Colorado Legal Regulation Committee, Appointed by the Colorado Supreme Court, 2016 – Present, Vice Chair, 2020
- Colorado Bar Association
- Executive Counsel, 2016-2018
- Board of Governors, 2016-2018
- Elder Law Section, Executive Council, Member at Large 2019 (2 year term)
- Trust and Estate Section, Probate Trial and Procedures Subcommittee, 2005 – Present
- Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training (“COBALT”), Class of 2016; 2017 Sessions Committee
- Chief Justice Nancy Rice’s Commission on Professional Development: Commissioner, Mid-Career Working Group 2014-2019
- Colorado Office of Public Guardianship Commission, Commissioner, Appointed by the Colorado Supreme Court, April 2019
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Nominating Committee 2019, 2020
- Board of Directors: Vice President 2018-2019; Executive Committee 2018-2019
- Nominating Committee, 2017
- Board of Directors: Vice President 2016-2017; Executive Committee 2016-2017
- Board of Directors: Immediate Past President 2015-2016; Executive Committee 2015-2016
- Board of Directors: President 2014-2015; Executive Committee 2014-2015
- Board of Directors: President-Elect; Executive Committee 2013-2014
- Board of Directors: Co-Chair Membership Committee 2012-2013
- Board of Directors: Co-Chair Professional Advancement Committee 2011-2012
- Board of Directors: Co-Chair Legal Services Committee 2009-2010, 2010-2011
- Colorado Supreme Court Committee, Judicial Dream Team, Committee member, 2018- present
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), faculty 2018-present
- Denver Bar Association: Member; 2016-2018 served as a Governor to the Colorado Board of Governors on behalf of the Denver Bar Association
- Center for Work Education and Employment, Leadership Advisory Board, 2016.
- Colorado Women's Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, 2013-2014; Circle of Minerva
- Colorado Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Bar Association
- GLBT Bar Association
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2012-2015
- Denver Probate Court, Probate Pro Se Clinic, Volunteer, 2015 – Present
- Griffith Centers for Children, Peaks Challenge, Leader, 2010-2014
- Breast Cancer Research: More than years of raising funds through personal efforts and the Susan G. Komen Foundation
- 2019 Law Week Colorado, Barrister's Best People's Choice: "Best Trust/Estates Attorney."
- 2019 Law Week Colorado’s Top Women Lawyers recipient.
- Best Lawyers in America
- Lawyer of the Year, Elder Law 2018, 2020
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys: Member 2012-2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, 2018-2019
- Gary McPherson Outstanding Young Lawyer Award: Nominee, 2010, 2011, 2013; 2014 Finalist, 2013
- Colorado Super Lawyers: Rising Star, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020; Super Lawyer 2021
- 5280 Top Lawyer, Probate Litigation, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Elder Law, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- ColoradoBiz Magazine: Top 25 Most Influential Young Professionals, 2015; Top Five, “The Builder”
- 5280 Magazine: Featured in “The Colorado Woman” article, December 2013
- Denver Business Journal: “Women's Bar Association Chief Alison Zinn Wants More Female Law Grads to Stay in Field” August 15, 2014
- CBS4 Denver: Featured for healthy life style and fundraising as a family member of breast cancer survivor, 2010
- Law Week: “Top Woman Lawyer,” 2019
1515 Wynkoop StreetSuite 600Denver, CO 80202
2440 Junction PlaceSuite 300Boulder, CO 80301
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, J.D., 2004
University of Colorado at Boulder, B.A., 2001