Will G. Carden, Ph.D.
As a Technical Specialist in the firm’s Intellectual Property practice, Dr. Will Carden has experience in all aspects of small molecule patent prosecution and strategy. He draws on his diverse background in small molecule synthesis, including both organic and organometallic small molecules, analytical characterization, materials characterization, and computational methodology.
Prior to joining the firm, Dr. Carden spent time in both graduate and undergraduate research settings. As graduate research assistant at the University of Florida he explored the effects of ligand architecture on the physical properties of organogold(I) and organogold(III) complexes for a vapor phase materials deposition technique commonly known as FEBID. As an undergraduate research assistant at North Carolina State University, he utilized both experiment and theory to study the mechanisms of small molecule activation facilitated by organometallic complexes of rhenium and cobalt.
- Carden, W.G.; Thorman, R.M.; Unlu, Ilyas; Kim, T.M.; Fairbrother, D.H.; McElwee-White, L. “Ligand effects in Au(I) precursors for focused electron beam induced deposition,” 257th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, Mar. 2019, Orlando, FL, INOR 845.
- Carden, W.G.; Pedziwiatr, J.; Abboud, McElwee-White, L. “Au(I) precursors for electron beam induced deposition,” 255th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, Mar. 2018, New Orleans, LA, INOR 1321.
- Poster presentation, Carden, W.G.; Frasco, D.A.; Lilly, C.P.; Ison, E.A “Cp*Co(III)-Catalyzed Oxidative Coupling of Benzoic Acids with Alkynes: A Computational Investigation,” Center for Enabling New Technologies through Catalysis (CENTC) Annual Meeting, Sept. 2014, Seattle, WA.
- Carden, W.G.; Thorman, R.M.; Unlu, Ilyas; Abboud, K.A.; Fairbrother, D.H.; McElwee-White, L. “Design, Synthesis, and Evaluation of CF3AuCNR Precursors for Focused Electron Beam-Induced Deposition of Gold” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2019, 11, 11976-11987.
- Carden, W.G.; Lu, H.; Spencer, J.A.; Fairbrother, D.H.; McElwee-White, L. “Mechanism-Based Design of Precursors for Focused Electron Beam Induced Deposition” MRS Commun, 2018, 8, 343-357.
- Carden, W.G.; Pedziwiatr, J.; Abboud, K.A.; McElwee-White, L. “Halide Effects on the Sublimation Temperature of X-Au-L Complexes: Implications for Their Use as Precursors in Vapor Phase Deposition Methods” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2017, 9, 40998-41005.
- American Chemical Society
- Alpha Chi Sigma, Gamma Xi Chapter
- Center for Enabling New Technologies through Catalysis
- Conference Travel Award, Oakwood Chemical Company
- Graduate Student Fellowship, University of Florida
- Hypercube Scholar, North Carolina State University