Civil Rights Insurance Recovery
Lathrop GPM leads the nation in negotiating settlements to compensate those who have been wrongfully convicted and has secured three of the largest settlements in history for these claims. Our Civil Rights Insurance Recovery Practice represents exonerees in §1983 civil rights lawsuits brought against the public entities responsible for their wrongful incarcerations. In addition, the Practice represents individuals and their families in other high-dollar cases against public entities such as claims for wrongful jail deaths, school shootings, and excessive use of force.
Our team knows that insurance recovery is often the key to helping the wrongfully imprisoned to vindicate their civil and constitutional rights. We partner with the nation’s leading civil rights law firms to aggressively pursue settlements under liability policies insuring public entities. Since our first success in 2004, we have helped litigate numerous wrongful conviction and wrongful death cases, recovering nearly a quarter of a billion dollars for individuals and their families.
Since 2004, we have helped recover nearly a quarter of a billion dollars for dozens of wrongfully convicted individuals.
Lathrop GPM’s deep knowledge in insurance recovery law allows our firm to recover insurance proceeds in civil rights cases where other law firms have failed. Our team members use their decades of knowledge and experience representing corporations against recalcitrant insurance companies to achieve exceptional results for newly exonerated individuals and their loved ones.
In a decision that is sending shockwaves through the insurance industry, our team recently prevailed at the 5th Circuit on behalf of three wrongfully convicted men against multiple insurers on a duty to defend case. The case establishes that insurers cannot utilize common law “coverage theories” (e.g., “first manifestation” or “first exposure” or “continuous trigger” theories) to sidestep the plain language governing their policies. While the win immediately benefits the families of wrongfully convicted men, the implications will help business clients vindicate their rights to insurance proceeds to cover liabilities for other “long-tail claims” including asbestos exposure cases. This win represents the latest demonstration of our ability to apply deep knowledge of insurance principles to create the most desirable outcomes for our insurance recovery clients.
In the News
- May 10, 2023
- April 5, 2023
- Law360 Features Alana McMullin and Matthew Jacober on New Law Helping Lamar Johnson Win Missouri ExonerationFebruary 24, 2023
- Missouri Lawyers Media Features Lamar Johnson; Judge Throws Out Charges for Missouri Man Innocent of a 1994 MurderFebruary 15, 2023
- February 14, 2023
- The Kansas City Star Features Judge's Dismissal of Missouri Man's Conviction, Confirming His Innocence in 1994 MurderFebruary 14, 2023
- Kansas City Business Journal Features Successes of Lathrop GPM's Civil Rights Insurance Recovery TeamJuly 6, 2022
- June 30, 2022
- June 30, 2022
- June 21, 2022
- August 3, 2021
- September 2, 2020
- January 23, 2020
- Civil Rights Insurance Recovery Team Featured in The National Law Journal's Litigation Trailblazers IssueSeptember 3, 2019
- June 7, 2019
- June 3, 2019
- William Beck and Michael Abrams Featured in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers Magazine on Recovering Financial Restitution for the Wrongfully ConvictedDecember 17, 2018
- August 31, 2018