Health Law Roundtable: The Meaning of "Meaningful Use" and Proposed Changes to HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Rules
Presented by: Gray Plant Mooty
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
7:30-8:00 a.m. Registration/Continental Breakfast
8:00-9:30 a.m. Program
Gray Plant Mooty
IDS Center - 5th Floor
80 South Eighth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Kindly RSVP by October 8, 2010
By email: email@example.com
By phone: 612.632.3170
Two recent sets of regulations issued as part of 2009’s Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act present both challenges and opportunities for providers. Under HITECH’s electronic health records incentive programs, eligible providers may receive Medicare and Medicaid incentive payments if they adopt certified EHR technology and achieve "meaningful use" of such technology. Final regulations issued this summer define what must happen for providers to achieve this "meaningful use." Meanwhile, HITECH enacted a series of changes to enhance the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Rules. However, many of these changes created more questions than answers for providers struggling to understand the new HIPAA obligations. Regulations proposed this summer begin to offer answers to some of these questions.
Please join Gray Plant Mooty’s Health Law team for a roundtable breakfast to discuss these important new sets of HIPAA regulations. Topics to be covered include, among others:
- Obligations of business associates and their subcontractors, and changes needed in business associate agreements
- Standards eligible health care professionals and hospitals must meet to achieve "meaningful use"
- Issues for providers in complying with the expansion of patient rights created by HITECH
- Types of providers that can qualify as an "eligible professional" under HITECH’s EHR incentive programs
- Effective dates for these various sets of requirements
Jesse Berg, Gray Plant Mooty principal, Health Law practice group
Tim Johnson, Gray Plant Mooty principal, Health Law practice group
There is no registration fee for this program.
Parking will be validated for the Marquette/IDS Ramp.