HIPAA Final Rule is Finally Here: What the New Regulations Mean For You
Firm Event & Webinar
Presented by: Gray Plant Mooty
Breakfast Roundtable and Webinar presented by Gray Plant Mooty’s Health Law Team
On January 17, 2013, the Department of Health and Human Services published the long-delayed regulations implementing changes to HIPAA first announced in 2009 as part of the HITECH Act. Weighing in at 563 pages, the new rulemaking is the most significant regulatory change to address privacy and confidentiality of health information since publication of the final HIPAA Privacy Rule in 2002. Key changes include:
- A more “objective” standard for analyzing whether a HIPAA breach has occurred, with a breach presumed to have taken place unless the contrary can be demonstrated
- Business associates and subcontractors directly liable for complying with the many HIPAA Privacy and Security Rule requirements
- Patients must be given electronic copies of their health information
- Broadening the use and disclosure of Protected Health Information for marketing and fundraising
- Changes to covered entities’ notices of privacy practices
- Restrictions on disclosures to health plans when individuals pay out of pocket for care
- Changes to HIPAA authorizations
- Increased penalties for violations
The new rules go into effect on March 26, but covered entities and business associates will have until September 23rd to comply.
Please join the Gray Plant Mooty Health Law Team for a roundtable breakfast and webinar to discuss the new rule and what it might mean for your organization.
Jesse Berg, Sarah Duniway, and Jeremy Johnson,
Principals, Gray Plant Mooty Health Law Team
RSVP by email to email@example.com
RSVP by phone to 612.632.3170
Please indicate if you are attending in person or by webinar. Webinar participants will receive instructions on login prior to the program.
There is no fee for this program. Parking will be validated for the Marquette / IDS Center Ramp.
7:30 – 8:00 a.m. Breakfast/Registration
8:00 – 9:30 a.m. Program
Gray Plant Mooty, 500 IDS Center (5th Floor), 80 South Eighth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402