Matthew A. Walker
Matt Walker’s practice includes all areas of environmental law, including litigation, regulatory compliance, and assistance with corporate transactions. He utilizes his background working for environmental regulatory agencies to advise a wide range of clients on environmental matters under federal and state law, and in judicial and administrative forums.
Matt is well-versed in litigation matters involving the core environmental laws, including suits under the Clean Water Act, contaminants and toxic tort, enforcement actions for waste violations and issues surrounding state and federal CERCLA claims. Matt also focuses on monitoring state and federal investigation and regulation of PFAS, and helps businesses develop strategies to adapt to regulatory developments.
Matt's environmental regulatory work has involved handling complex site investigation and remediation projects, Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act permit modifications and compliance counseling and enforcement disputes. Relying on his technical background in environmental science, he works closely with consultants and state and federal government agencies to amicably resolve potential claims. Additionally, he assists buyers, sellers and financial institutions identify risks through environmental due diligence and negotiate contractual protections related to the sale and acquisition of businesses and property in a variety of industries.
Prior to joining Lathrop GPM, Matt served as an Assistant Attorney General with the Environmental Bureau of the Illinois Attorney General's Office, where he litigated matters relating to environmental, land use and energy disputes.
While in law school, Matt worked as a law clerk at the EPA (Region 5); the Environment and Natural Resources Division, Environmental Crimes Section, U.S. Department of Justice; the Aviation, Environmental, Regulatory and Contracts Division for the City of Chicago Department of Law; and Division of Legal Counsel, Office of Emergency Response of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.
- Environmental Moot Court, Editor, Awarded Best Brief and Best Overall
- CALI Award, Top grade in class, Moot Court and Energy & Natural Resource Transactions
- University of Illinois Men’s Lacrosse Team, Team Captain, MCLA Scholar-Athlete Award recipient
- Illinois State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section, Council Member
- ABA Section of Environment and Energy Resources, Young Lawyers Division, Former Vice Chair
- Air & Waste Management Association, Lake Michigan States Section
- Author, What to Expect from an Illinois Environmental Enforcement Action: A Review Amidst Covid-19 Confusion, The Illinois Manufacturer, November 2020
- Co-author, No Balance Required: A Review of Injunctive Relief Under the Illinois Environmental Protection Act, ISBA Environmental Law Newsletter, August 2020
- Co-Author, A Nudge or a Shove: Environmental Federalism and Non-Point Source Pollution, 28 San Joaquin Agricultural Law Review 1-41 (2019)
- Author, The Wetter of Two Evils: Evaluation of the Necessity Defense Under the Clean Water Act, ABA YLD SEER Newsletter, Spring 2017
- Co-Author, A Tale of Three Watersheds: U.S. EPA's Contrasting Approaches to Agriculture Nutrient Pollution, 2 WIREs Water 47, 2015
- Author, Where We're Going, We Don't Need (More) Roads, 2 Land Conservation Foundation 5, 2014
- Regulatory and Technical Strategies in Detecting and Quantifying Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances, webinar, May 2020
- The Evolving PFAS Regulatory Landscape, Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, January 2020
- Environmental Enforcement Trends and Liability, June 2019
- The Evolving PFAS Regulatory Landscape webinar, June 2019
155 North Wacker DriveSuite 3000Chicago, IL 60606-1787
University of Illinois, J.D., cum laude, 2016
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, M.S., Natural Resources and Environmental Science, 2016
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., Natural Resources and Environmental Science, 2013