James J. Hopkins, Ph.D.
James Hopkins is a Technical Specialist who focuses his work on the biotechnology and life sciences industry. James has extensive familiarity with a variety of microbiological techniques used in laboratories, having researched characterization of the photochemistry of bacteriophytochrome (BphP), bacterial red-light photoreceptor, through extensive UV-vis spectroscopy. While working as a research assistant, James developed novel research direction to characterize the function of Heparanase during HSV 2 infection. In addition, he has experince with protein purification using metal affinity chromatography, plasmid extraction, PCR, bacterial transformation, SDS-PAGE electrophoresis, DNA gel electrophoresis, and general bacterial handling techniques.
- James J Hopkins, Alex M. Agelidis, Satvik R. Hadigal, Thessicar E. Antoine, Abraam M. Yakoub, Deepak Shukla. The role of Heparanase in a HSV-2 infection. Graduate Education in the Medical Sciences (GEMS) Symposium, Chicago, IL, 2017
- James J Hopkins, Alex M. Agelidis, Dinesh Jaishankar, Deepak Shukla. Preliminary Investigation into OGT 2115 Antiviral Activity. Graduate Education in the Medical Sciences (GEMS) Symposium, Chicago, IL, 2016
- James J Hopkins, Patricia Waltz, Hardik Patel and Nima Missaghian, Aaron Schirmer and Emina A. Stojkovia. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic studies of unusual red-light photoreceptors from photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic bacteria. Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), San Antonio, TX. 2013.
- James J Hopkins, Patricia Waltz, Hardik Patel and Nima Missaghian, Aaron Schirmer and Emina A. Stojkovio. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic studies of unusual red-light photoreceptors from photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic bacteria. 5th Annual NEIU-SCSE Symposium, Chicago, IL. 2013.
- James J Hopkins, Patricia Waltz, Andrei Halavaty and Emina A. Stojkovi6. X-ray Crystallographic Studies of a Bacteriophytochrome from Myxobacterium Stigmatella aurantiaca. Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), San Antonio, TX. 2014.
- Hopkins J, Yadavalli T, Suryawanshi R, Qatanani F, Volety I, Shukla D. Heparanase 2 plays a key role in regulating virus herpes simplex virus entry and egress through surface heparan sulfate regulation. In preparation. 2021
- Agelidis A, Turturice B, Suryawanshi R, Yadavalli T, Jaishankar D, Ames J, Hopkins J, Koujah L, Patil C, Hadigal S, Kyzar E, Campeau A,. Wozniak J, Gonzalez D, Vlodavsky I, Li J, Perkins D, Finn P, Shukla D. Disruption of innate defense responses by endoglycosidase HPSE promotes cell survival. JCI Incite. 2021
- Yadavalli T, Suryawanshi R, Koganti R, Hopkins J, Ames J, Koujah L, Iqbal A, Madavaraju K, Agelidis A, Shukla D. Standalone or combinatorial phenylbutyrate therapy shows excellent antiviral activity and mimics CREB3 silencing. Science Advances. 2020
- Hopkins J, Yadavalli T, Suryawanshi R, Koganti R, Iqbal A, Qatanani F, Shukla D. In Vitro and In Vivo Activity, Tolerability and Mechanism of Action of BX795 as an Antiviral against Herpes Simplex Virus-2 Genital Infection. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2020
- Yadavalli T, Ames J, Agelidis A, Suryawanshi R, Jaishankar D, Hopkins J, Thakkar N, Koujah L, Shukla D. Drug-encapsulated carbon (DECON): A novel platform for enhanced drug delivery. Sci Adv. 2019
- Hopkins J, Yadavalli T, Agelidis AM, Shukla D. Host Enzymes Heparanase and Cathepsin L Promote Herpes Simplex Virus 2 Release from Cells. J Virol. 2018
- Valyi-Nagy T, Fredericks B, Ravindra A, Hopkins J, Shukla D, Valyi-Nagy K. Herpes Simplex Virus 1 Infection Promotes the Growth of a Subpopulation of Tumor Cells in Three-Dimensional Uveal Melanoma Cultures. J Virol. 2018
- Woitowich NC, Halavaty AS, Waltz P, Kupitz C, Valera J, Tracy G, Gallagher KD, Claesson E, Nakane T, Pandey S, Nelson G, Tanaka R, Nango E, Mizohata E, Owada S, Tono K, Joti Y, Nugent AC, Patel H, Mapara A, Hopkins J, Duong P, Bizhga D, Kovaleva SE, St Peter R, Hernandez CN, Ozarowski WB, Roy-Chowdhuri S, Yang JH, Edlund P, Takala H, Ihalainen J, Brayshaw J, Norwood T, Poudyal I, Fromme P, Spence JCH, Moffat K, Westenhoff S, Schmidt M, Stojkovie EA. Structural basis for light control of cell development revealed by crystal structures of a myxobacterial phytochrome. IUCrJ. 2018
- Illinois Science Council, Volunteer
- Chicago Council on Science and Technology, Volunteer
- Graduate Education in the Medical Sciences Student Association, Outreach Coordinator
- Graduate Education in the Medical Sciences Symposium Planning Committee, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago, Member