Christopher B. Nelson
Chris Nelson is a litigation attorney in the firm's Overland Park office; he focuses his practice on complex commercial disputes. Already in his career, he has tried multiple cases in both federal and state court, and handled appeals in both federal and state court. Chris enjoys working with clients to achieve their goals and find cost effective solutions to any disputes presented.
Recently, Chris defended a company and its owner in a bet-the-company trade secrets case. The plaintiff company sought $20 million in damages. After a three-week jury trial, Chris and the Lathrop GPM team won a full defense verdict on every claim against our clients.
In another recent case, Chris successfully argued a civil rights case—involving a novel First Amendment claim—to the Tenth Circuit, which ruled in his clients’ favor 3-0. He then opposed the Petition for Writ of Certiorari before the Supreme Court of the United States.
While attending law school, Chris had two judicial internships, as well as a prosecutorial internship. He also served as Articles Editor and Staff Editor for the Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy, was a CALI award winner, and participated in the moot court competition.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, "Ones to Watch," 2021
- CALI Award Winner
- Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy, Articles Editor
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Ross T. Roberts Trial Academy, 2013-2014
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- KCMBA YLS Board of Directors, 2015-2017
- KCMBA Ross T. Roberts Trial Academy, Co-Chair of the Planning Committee, 2015-2017
- Johnson County Bar Association
- NITA Depositions Skills Clinic, 2017
- The Missouri Bar
10851 Mastin BoulevardBuilding 82, Suite 1000Overland Park, KS 66210-1669
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D. with Advocacy Certificate, 2012
University of Kansas, B.S. in Journalism, 2009