Aaron M. Wais, CIPP/US
Aaron Wais is a seasoned litigator who focuses his practice on intellectual property disputes and business litigation, with a particular emphasis on disputes involving copyright infringement, trademark infringement, defamation, misappropriation of publicity rights, false advertising. During his career, Aaron has also represented clients in numerous other types of disputes, including labor and employment disputes, profit participation and royalty disputes, and breach of contract.
The International Association of Privacy Professionals has designated Aaron a Certified Information Privacy Professional / United States (CIPP/US), allowing him to also provide his clients with proactive and sophisticated legal advice regarding data privacy and protection.
Aaron represents a range of clients, including clients in the entertainment industry (e.g., film and television studios, digital media companies, production companies, record companies, publishers, and other content creators and distributors), retailers, distribution companies, advertisers, apparel companies, designers, health care companies, and universities. He has substantial trial, arbitration, and appellate experience in representing these clients.
- Currently representing a production company against claims of copyright infringement over a popular prank show.
- Recently obtained judgment on the pleadings in a trademark dispute by proving Plaintiff's marks were generic, which also resulted in cancellation of plaintiffs' marks.
- Obtained judgment as a matter of law on behalf of defendants being sued for copyright infringement over a hit pop song.
- Recently prosecuted claims of copyright infringement on behalf of record companies against an entity using their works without permission.
- Defense of streaming service and other defendants against claims that their documentary defamed plaintiffs.
- Defense of news organization against claims of employment discrimination involving First Amendment defenses.
- Defense of e-retailer against claims of copyright infringement over the design of goods.
- Defense of retailer against claims of false advertising involving labeling of product.
- Prior successful defense of television network and production company against wrongful termination claims arising out of writing off character from popular television show, including serving as trial counsel.
- Prior representation of international mobile phone company against claims of copyright infringement.
- Prior representation of apparel company against allegations of employment discrimination and sexual harassment.
- Prior representation of production companies against claims of copyright infringement.
- Prior representation of global petroleum company against allegations of employment discrimination.
- Prior representation a television production company and television network against claims of copyright infringement and failure to pay royalties arising out of airing and distribution of two television shows.
- Prior representation of artists and recording companies against claims of copyright infringement over various songs.
- Prosecuted claims of false advertising and obtained preliminary injunction arising out the use of allegedly false internet review websites and other allegedly improper online advertising practices.
- On behalf of national advertising company, successfully brought Anti-SLAPP motion and struck complaint alleging misappropriation, false advertising, and unfair competition arising out of alleged unauthorized use of former Olympic athletes' name and likeness.
- Currently assessing and drafting data privacy and protection policies (internal and external) for multiple companies.
- Obtained summary judgment in multiple copyright infringement and breach of contract suits brought by plaintiffs claiming that a hit motion picture was based on their ideas, screenplays, or drawings.
- On behalf of record company, awarded summary judgment with respect to dispute over royalties allegedly owed to artist by third-party.
- On behalf of author, publisher, and media outlets, obtained dismissal of defamation claims arising from the biography of a high-profile pop singer in trial court and on appeal.
- Represented multiple furniture companies in trademark infringement and misappropriation litigation filed by former and current celebrities, including the Marlon Brando Estate and Clint Eastwood.
- Represented major licensor of children's entertainment properties in breach of contract dispute involving credit and production rights.
- Represented major licensor of children's entertainment properties in dispute involving alleged breach of contract and fraud arising out of trademark licensing.
- Represented national clothing manufacturer against claims of copyright infringement and vicarious copyright infringement
- Presenter, "For CA Businesses & Beyond," CCPA, December 4, 2019
- Presenter, "Decrypting Cybersecurity Laws: 2016 Year In Review and Looking Forward to 2017," 2017 ABA Section of Litigation Corporate Counsel CLE Seminar, February 17, 2017
- Author, "Commentary: Recent Craft Beer Trademark Battles Show Importance of IP Diligence," Craft Brewing Business, February 26, 2018
- Author, "Machinima: Lord & Taylor And The Need for Native Ad Policies," Law360, March 28, 2016
- Author, "Machinima: FTC's Latest Action Against 'Influencer' Marketing," Law360, September 2015
- September 13, 2021
2049 Century Park EastSuite 3500SLos Angeles, CA 90067-1623
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2001
- Staff and Senior Editor, Georgetown Journal of International Law
- Dean's List
- College of William and Mary, B.A., 1998
- High Honors
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Wendell P. Gardner, J.R., Superior Court, Washington, DC (1999)