Antonio "Tony" Fricano is a health care attorney in Lathrop GPM’s Health and Nonprofit practice group. Tony has extensive knowledge and experience advising clients in regard to the Stark Law, the Federal Anti-Kickback Statute, Antitrust Law and HIPAA. Tony also advises clients in the medical spa industry, acupuncture and chiropractic areas of medical practice on corporate practice of medicine issues, fee splitting and physician supervision requirements for large-scale transactions in association with the firm’s global franchise practice.
Prior to joining the firm, Tony served as in-house counsel to the largest health care system in Illinois and worked in the Accountable Care Division at a global pharmacy chain. When Tony was an in-house attorney, he developed an appreciation for outside counsel that cut through the distractions and took a practical approach to problem solving so that they could focus on the issues that were relevant. That experience shaped Tony’s philosophy on client service and he follows those principles when he provides legal services to his current clients.
- Advised on regulatory issues and structure of franchise model for aesthetic medicine, acupuncture and chiropractic medical providers in multiple markets.
- Advised clinical integration organizations on ACO formation, risk sharing arrangements, formation, and dissolution of joint ventures and the process and requirements for insurance licensure.
- Assisted national pharmacies, wholesalers and specialty pharmacies with the regulatory requirements for commencement of operations in new markets and ownership changes.
- Extensive experience as health care regulatory lead on private equity transactions involving home health, hospice and assisted living facilities.
- Advised on Stark and Anti-kickback issues and assisted large nonprofit health system with self-disclosures to OIG and CMS.
- Negotiated reimbursement disputes with private and public payors obtaining favorable settlements for clients.
- Advised providers and device manufacturers on Open Payments (Sunshine Act) compliance.
- Advised healthcare technology vendors on establishment of HIPAA compliance program and regulatory requirements as a downstream entity.
- Advised on physician employment contracting from the system side and the physician side.
- Advised large health system on regulatory and contracting concerns associated with purchase of linear accelerator and biotechnology services agreement.
Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2013