Thomas A. Ryan
A leading environmental attorney, Tom Ryan has spent a considerable portion of his time defending chemical exposure toxic tort litigation, including class actions. These cases have included alleged damage to plaintiff's immune systems, pulmonary systems and other personal injuries. He has experience in Superfund issues including contribution, indemnity, transporter liability and allocation.
In addition, Tom represents policyholders in environmental insurance coverage litigation in various states. He also has 20 years of experience in personal injury litigation, representing railroad and manufacturing companies in a wide variety of cases.
- Represents a major railroad in various Superfund matters in the Midwest.
- Served as Missouri and Kansas counsel for one of the major manufacturers of asbestos-containing products. He tried a property damage case to a jury in federal district court in Kansas resulting in one of only a handful of defense verdicts for this type of litigation.
- Served as Missouri counsel for one of the manufacturers in "fen phen" litigation.
- Represented a major chemical company in class action litigation arising out of a plant in central Missouri.
- Represents a waste transporter and landowner in numerous major Superfund cases at sites throughout the United States.
- Represents insureds seeking coverage for costs and other damages incurred in connection with CERCLA sites around the country.
- Represent a number of clients in proceedings before the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE).
- Speaker, Negotiating Superfund Settlements, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, MO, 2018
In the News
- August 17, 2023
- June 1, 2023
- August 18, 2022
- June 1, 2022
- August 19, 2021
- May 20, 2021
- Lathrop GPM Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America©, Lawyer of the Year, and Ones to Watch for 2021August 20, 2020
- Chambers USA 2020 Names Lathrop GPM a Top Law Firm, Insurance Recovery Team Earns New Recognition, Franchise Group Ranked NationwideApril 23, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- May 3, 2019
- November 14, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- November 9, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- June 8, 2017
- August 16, 2016
- June 3, 2016
- May 20, 2015
- March 12, 2015
- October 14, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- August 22, 2012
- June 7, 2012
- June 10, 2011
- October 20, 2010
- October 13, 2010
- August 6, 2010
- June 11, 2010
- August 3, 2009
- June 11, 2009
- American Bar Association, Torts & Insurance Practice Section; Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section
- Insurance Information Council
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Adjunct Professor, CERCLA/Negotiating Superfund Settlements, 2018
- Prime Health Foundation, Board of Directors, 1988 – Present
- Heart of America Dartmouth Club, Former President
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Missouri Environmental, 2019-2023
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, 2010-2024
- "Lawyer of the Year," 2017, 2023
- Chambers USA, "Leading Lawyer”, 2009-2018
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers, 2007-2010 and 2013-2018
- KVC Health Systems' 40 Everyday Heroes, 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell® "AV" Rating
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1982
Dartmouth College, A.B., cum laude, 1979