Shann Kerner, Ph.D.
Dr. Shann Kerner has over 25 years of experience in intellectual property law representing life sciences companies. She focuses on patent portfolio counseling and procurement, management, leverage, and IP protection, as well as IP due diligence in connection with venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, and startup creation. Dr. Kerner also performs internal audits, and infringement, validity, landscape, patentability, inventorship, and white space opinions and analyses.
Dr. Kerner’s technical areas of focus includes molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, immunology, virology, cell biology, neurology and plant biology. She represents emerging and established private and public biotechnology and pharma clients in the fields of cancer and inflammatory disorders, gene and cell therapy, protein-based therapeutics, early and late stage disease diagnostics and therapeutics, drug delivery, ophthalmology, antioxidants, antibodies, stem cells, implantable medical devices, and many others.
Prior to practicing law, Dr. Kerner held a joint appointment as a faculty member at Harvard Medical School, Department of Neuropathology and at Boston Children's Hospital, Department of Developmental Neuropathology.
Her notable experience includes:
Counseling life science companies in developing and implementing IP strategies that protect their business aims.
Creation and protection of worldwide patent portfolios for startup and emerging biotechnology and life sciences companies.
IP diligence reviews for investment, M&A, and IPO.
- Positioning IP portfolios of startup and emerging life sciences companies for investment, acquisition, or IPO.
Offensive and defensive protection of a European company from multinational infringement.
Creating trade secret policies for emerging companies.
Providing IP litigation support for several public life sciences companies.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Boston Bar Association, Member
- Boston Patent Law Association, Member, Biotechnology Committee Co-Chair, 2008- 2010
- Licensing Executives Society, Member
- US/Russia Chamber of Commerce of New England, Board of Directors
- Co-Author, Russia-Focused Venture Capital Supports In-Bound Technology Transfer and Company Building: An Analysis of Investment Trends and Outcomes, Journal of Commercial Biotechnology, 2014
- Author, Patentability of Gene Sequences OK for Now, Medical Research & Policy Report, Bureau of National Affairs
- Author, Meeting the Bears: Gauging the Business Climate for Life Sciences of Russia, Life Science Law & Industry
- Panelist, The Evolving Aftermath of Licensing Agreements: Keeping Track of What is Important to Ensure Their Success
- Speaker, Post Licensing Issues: What Happens After the License is Signed, AUTM Eastern Regional Meeting
- Speaker, Creating and Monetizing Intellectual Property
- Speaker, U.S./Russia Cross-border Opportunities in the Life Sciences Industry
28 State StreetSuite 700Boston, MA 02109
Suffolk Univ. Law School, J.D.
Harvard Medical School, Postdoctoral Fellowship
University of Connecticut Medical School, Ph.D.
Boston University, A.B., with Distinction