Mitchell Martin is an associate in the firm's St. Louis office who focuses his practice on business and commercial litigation, with a particular focus on construction litigation. Mitchell has assisted a wide range of clients during his legal career, from Fortune 500 companies, to small business owners and associations in a variety of litigation matters. In addition to his experience in construction litigation, Mitchell has assisted clients in employment, personal and professional liability, products liability, medical malpractice, and class action litigation. Mitchell handles every aspect of litigation, from a case’s inception, through discovery, at trial, and, if necessary, on appeal. He has taken hundreds of depositions and regularly represents his clients in court, earning significant victories, including several summary judgment awards.
Previously, Mitchell practiced as a litigation attorney with the national law firm Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, in Minneapolis, Minn., and St. Louis, Mo. He began his legal career with the Edwardsville, Illinois, civil defense firm, Reed, Armstrong, Mudge & Morrissey, P.C. Mitchell is licensed to practice in the states courts of Missouri, Illinois, and Minnesota; the United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Missouri, Southern District of Illinois, and District of Minnesota; and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
Mitchell received his Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 2013 from Southern Illinois University School of Law in Carbondale, IL. During law school, Mitchell competed as a member of the National Moot Court Team, winning Best Oralist, Best Brief and Finalist awards. Mitchell also earned two (2) CALI Excellence for the Future awards, was admitted to the Order of the Barristers, was awarded the Judge Richard E. Richman Endowed Scholarship, and worked as an intern for the Chief Justice of the Illinois Supreme Court, the Honorable Lloyd Karmeier.
- Minnesota Supreme Court affirmed Appellate Court decision in favor of client, a national insurer.
- Summary judgment award in favor of client, a locomotive manufacturing company, on basis that the plaintiff's claims were preempted by the Locomotive Inspection Act.
- Summary judgment award in favor of client, a local municipality, on basis that plaintiff's claims were preempted by the Illinois Animal Control Act.
- Summary judgment award in favor of client, on basis that Plaintiff presented no evidence of asbestos containing components within client’s products.
- Successfully prosecuted declaratory judgment action for no coverage on behalf of national insurer.
- Successfully lobbied Minnesota municipality to repeal unconstitutional ordinance on behalf of national trade association.
- Presenter, Attorneys' Ethical Obligations in the Digital Age, November 2016
- Panelist, Mid to Large Law Firm Practice, ABA Career Panel, April 2016
- Family and Medical Leave Act: The Basics, Presentation, November 2015 (Authored presentation materials)
- Special Masters in Federal, Missouri, and Illinois Courts, May 2015 (Authored Presentation Materials)
- Co-Author, The Limitation of Damages in Employment Discrimination Cases: A Case Analysis, National Law Review, October 2015
- August 19, 2021
- Lathrop GPM Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America©, Lawyer of the Year, and Ones to Watch for 2021August 20, 2020
- October 9, 2019
- Missouri State Bar Association
- St. Clair County Bar Association
- Christian Legal Society
- MSG Ministry - First Free Church
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, "Ones to Watch," 2021-2022
7701 Forsyth BoulevardSuite 500Clayton, MO 63105
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Southern Illinois University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2013
- Order of Barristers
- Judge Richard E. Richman Endowed Scholarship
Harding University, B.A., Psychology, 2008
- Summa Cum Laude