Mark A. Samsel
Mark Samsel puts the interests and well-being of his clients first. He values trust, long-term relationships, and doing the right thing above all else. To accomplish these things, Mark places utmost importance on communication, especially the hard conversations necessary to build and sustain the foregoing principles. “It’s not just what we say; it’s how we say it.”
Mark can help guide any client as to next best steps. He most enjoys focusing his practice in guiding businesses, large or small, on the front end before disputes arise. This holds especially true in construction-related work for property owners, contractors, sub-contractors, and vendors.
He also greatly enjoys assisting clients once problems arise. His extensive experience with civil disputes helps clients achieve their end-goals in the most cost-effective manner possible. In addition to business and construction law, Mark has extensive experience with conflicts involving contracts and commercial and residential leases, education, government, and administrative and constitutional law. Mark’s recent legislative experience brings a new facet into his insight for clients.
When listening to client concerns and evaluating and implementing legal options and strategy, Mark searches for the heart of the dispute, which often involves a difficult pursuit for the truth. He always provides his clients with an honest perspective, unwaveringly placing their best interest first.
A sampling of his trial victories and success:
- 1st Chair, Jury Trial, commercial lease dispute involving breach of contract, fraud, and other allegations, Jackson County, Missouri;
- 2nd Chair, Bench Trial, real estate dispute, Johnson County, Kansas;
- 2nd Chair, Arbitration, commercial dispute involving construction and real estate contract, Kansas City, Missouri;
- 2nd Chair, Preliminary Injunction Hearing, employment dispute involving breach of contract and restrictive covenants, Kansas City, Kansas; and
- 2nd Chair, Bench Trial, commercial lease dispute, Kansas City, Kansas
In 2019, Mark was elected to the of Kansas House of Representatives, where he currently represents Kansas House District 5. This role reflects Mark’s commitment to public service, both within the 5th District and beyond.
Outside of the office and the courtroom, Mark enjoys being actively engaged in his community, including involvement with the Kansas State High School Activities Association (K.S.H.S.A.A.) as a basketball and soccer official across Kansas. Rep. Samsel also enjoys spending his time promoting leadership, education, and civic engagement among youth.
He actively participates in several organizations to promote education and teach the principles he stands for including KC Scholars, KC Sports Commission, and Leadership Franklin County as a board trustee. Mark also proudly supports his hometown Kansas City Royals, Sporting Kansas City, and Kansas City Chiefs, as well as his higher education alma maters, the Missouri Valley College Vikings and Kansas Jayhawks.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers "Rising Stars," 2014-2019
- Outstanding Young Alumnus, Missouri Valley College, 2015
- CALI Award Winner, KU Law
- Media, Law & Policy Certificate, KU Law
- Kansas Law Review, Note & Comment Editor, KU Law
- National First Amendment Moot Court Competition, KU Law
- American Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Blue Valley School District, Center for Advanced Professional Studies (CAPS), Volunteer
- The Civic Council of Greater Kansas City, Kansas City Tomorrow Leadership Program, Class of 2017
- Coaches vs. Cancer, Planning Committee
- Kansas City Sports Commission & Foundation, Emerging Leaders Advisory Board
- Kansas Legislature, House of Representatives, State Representative, District 5
- KC Scholars, Volunteer Reviewer
- Leadership Franklin County, Trustee
- Missouri Valley College, Trustees
- Ottawa Area Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Franklin County, Trustee
- Southwest Johnson County Economic Development Corporation, Board of Directors
- Comment, Peering into the Campaign Finance Law Crystal Ball: Guiding Principles for the Future of the BCRA and "Issue Advocacy" in Citizens United and Beyond, 58 U. Kan. L. Rev. 211 (2009)
- November 13, 2019
- November 14, 2018
- January 3, 2018
- November 9, 2017
- September 23, 2010
10851 Mastin BoulevardBuilding 82, Suite 1000Overland Park, KS 66210-1669
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2010
Missouri Valley College, B.S., summa cum laude, 2007
- Law clerk for U.S. Congressman Dennis Moore
- Legislative intern for Kansas Senate Vice President John Vratil