Julia Dayton Klein
Julia Dayton Klein centers her practice around business litigation, intellectual property, and regulatory matters, helping businesses of all size resolve legal challenges in the manner that best serves their existing strategic objectives. She counsels clients on a wide range of matters including regulatory compliance, patent infringement, copyright, trademarks, advertising, public relations management, product launches, marketing strategies, and mergers and acquisitions.
In particular, Julia advises restaurants and franchisors on menu labeling requirements and risk management strategies. She also advises food producers and manufacturers on regulatory compliance and labeling requirements, and she reviews these clients’ marketing materials and strategies to proactively mitigate their risk.
Julia represents higher education institutions on compliance matters and litigation risk management. She assists clients in responding to audits and inquiries on the state and federal level.
Julia also advises candidates and non-profit institutions on election law and political activity issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Julia served as general counsel for the Minnesota Department of Commerce, where she led the Division of Legal Services, which served all divisions of the department, including Government Affairs, Insurance, Energy Resources, Financial Institutions, Enforcement, Unclaimed Property, and Securities. Julia had previously served in private practice for nearly 10 years, serving as trial counsel in patent, trademark, and antitrust matters.
Julia also remains active through community involvement, including work with the Advocates for Human Rights to investigate and curtail the spread of human trafficking in Minnesota.
- Represented a higher education institution on federal and state student financial aid compliance.
- Represented a higher education institution regarding reporting of educational statistics the U.S. Department of Education.
- Trained on Title IX investigations and adjudications.
- Counseled clients on compliance with state and federal regulations regarding marketing, labeling, and handling of food products.
- Counseled clients on trademark and copyright enforcement, resulting in favorable resolution.
- Lead co-counsel on reverse confusion trademark case, resulting in settlement and coexistence.
- Represented multiple licensees and businesses in inquiries and investigations before the Minnesota Department of Commerce, resulting in dismissal of the investigations.
- Lead co-counsel in an international arbitration involving a joint venture.
- First-chair in jury trial on theft of trade secret case, resulting in successful settlement for clients.
- Lead co-counsel on International Trade Commission trial team and district court team in an intellectual property dispute involving five patents and three multi-national defendants, resulting in successful financial settlement for client.
- Lead co-counsel on arbitration and trial team in patent ownership and employment dispute spanning four jurisdictions with three appeals to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, acting as lead negotiator with opposing counsel.
- First-chair in a constitutional challenge to a Minnesota criminal law before the Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Lead trial lawyer in asylum case for a victim of religious persecution from Nigeria.
- First-chair on 14 successful evidentiary hearings on domestic violence cases for pro bono clients through the Tubman Family Alliance, securing orders for protection for adult and juvenile victims of domestic violence.
- First-chair in two bench trials regarding the termination of parental rights, one representing a guardian ad litem and the other representing a maternal grandmother.
- First-chair on guardianship and conservatorship case involving vulnerable adult, interfacing with multiple health care systems and hospitals to navigate privacy issues and investigate care pathways.
- “North Star Lawyers,” Minnesota State Bar Association, 2016, 2018
- “Minnesota Rising Star,” Thomson Reuters, 2006-2007, 2017
- Advocates for Human Rights Volunteer Award, 2008
- Minnesota Mother Attorneys Association, member
- National Association of Women Lawyers, member
- Fund for the Legal Aid Society, board member; co-chair, Associates’ One Hour of Sharing Campaign
- Friends of the Hennepin County Library, board member
- WomenWinning, board member, LAUNCH Committee chair
- DFL Lawyers’ Committee, executive committee co-chair
- Drops Fill Buckets, founding board member
- Leaders Impacting the Nonprofit Community
- YMCA Ops Board
- Minority Clerkship Program, mentor
- November 1, 2018
- May 3, 2017
- April 15, 2017
- November 30, 2016
- November 8, 2016
- November 8, 2016
- November 6, 2016
- October 30, 2016
- October 21, 2016
- October 21, 2016
- October 20, 2016
- September 9, 2016
- May 16, 2016
- June 14, 2019
- January 7, 2019
- July 5, 2017
- May 18, 2017
- February 22, 2016
- Nonprofit Alert: Political Advertising on Social Media — New Requirements Emerge in Advance of the 2018 Elections9/7/2018
- “An Eater’s Guide to the Natural Labeling Food Fight,” Landslide: A Publication of the ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law9/30/2016
80 South Eighth Street500 IDS CenterMinneapolis, MN 55402
University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2002
- Journal of College and University Law, executive notes editor
University of Notre Dame, B.A., cum laude, 1999