John L. Krenn
John Krenn serves the litigation needs of a wide range of business clients with particular focus on patent litigation, commercial litigation, real estate, and trust & estate-related litigation. He also has significant experience with agricultural cooperatives.
John is a former adjunct professor of litigation at the University of St. Thomas Law School.
- Litigated and resolved two major patent disputes for a sporting goods manufacturer.
- Represented two manufacturing companies in multi-million dollar first-party insurance lost profits claims against their insurers.
- Obtained receivers and foreclosed on commercial real estate properties with values in excess of $100 million.
- Prevailed on a summary judgment motion against telecom giant Sprint, leading to a Sprint buyout of John's client for over $300 million.
- Obtained a judgment for a design patent owner against an infringer.
- Defeated on summary judgment a claim against a tank car manufacturer in a case involving a train wreck.
- Defeated a claim for $25 million brought by a terminated distributor to South China of electrical generation equipment.
- Assisted a major agricultural cooperative with dispute resolution, contract drafting, and expansion issues.
- North Dakota
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2010–2019
- “Minnesota Super Lawyer®,” Thomson/Reuters, 2005–2017
- “Planning, Preparing, Taking, and Defending Depositions,” Minnesota Continuing Legal Education Seminar, co-chairAugust 21, 2015
- “Avoiding the Expense of Patent Litigation,” Protecting Your Intellectual Property and Avoiding Expensive Patent Litigation seminarJanuary 15, 2013
- April 1, 2009
- “Rules of Engagement in the Deposition Room,” Minnesota Continuing Legal Education Seminar, co-chairNovember 1, 2004
- May 1, 2002
- March 1, 2001
- American Bar Association, Litigation section
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Hearts & Hammers, home coordinator
- Good Shepherd Catholic Church, Finance Committee, trustee and member
- Volunteer Lawyers Network, volunteer attorney
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- July 5, 2018
- April 26, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- July 5, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- July 9, 2015
- August 19, 2014
- July 7, 2014
- May 14, 2013
- July 9, 2012
- September 2, 2011
- July 12, 2011
- August 9, 2010
- July 16, 2010
- Minnesota Courtroom Evidence Deskbook, Article 10, co-author1/1/2017
- Litigation Update - Judge Sanctions Samsung for “Auto-Delete” of Relevant Emails When Litigation Was “Reasonably Foreseeable”9/25/2012
- Litigation Update - Qui Tam Provision of Patent False Marking Statute Declared Unconstitutional by Federal District Court4/13/2011
80 South Eighth Street500 IDS CenterMinneapolis, MN 55402
- General Business & Complex Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Real Estate Litigation & Disputes
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Investigations & White-Collar Defense
- Product Liability & Tort Litigation
- Real Estate & Development
- Intellectual Property & Technology
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1980
- Order of the Coif