James R. Thomson
Jim practices represents families, fiduciaries, individuals, and family businesses in matters pertaining to estate planning, estate and trust administration, estate and trust litigation, business succession planning and charitable giving. He assists clients by drafting wills and trusts, advising clients on tax minimization strategies, and guiding families through the estate administration process. Jim also provides guidance to charitable trusts, higher education institutions, and other charities regarding charitable gift solicitation and administration.
Prior to joining Lathrop GPM, Jim served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Susan Richard Nelson of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota. He also worked for several years as a project manager at a small software training consultancy, where he developed an intimate understanding of the succession challenges facing family-owned businesses.
Jim, his wife, and their son live in southwest Minneapolis. When he is not practicing law, Jim enjoys hiking, cycling, history, and reading.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Tax Court
- "North Star Lawyers," Minnesota State Bar Association, 2018
- Law school book awards (given to the top student in the class) in Contracts, Environmental Law, Employee Benefits, Conflicts, Tax I, and Federal Reserve
- Minnesota State Bar Association, New Lawyers Section, Articles Committee Chair, 2018–present
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- “Ancillary Administration,” co-author, Chapter 10, Minnesota CLE Minnesota Estate Administration Deskbook 5th Edition, February 2018
- “Miscellaneous Procedures,” co-author, Chapter 8, Minnesota CLE Minnesota Estate Administration Deskbook 5th Edition, February 2018
- The Business Risk Doctrine in Minnesota: The Emperor Has No Clothes, 35 Hamline L. Rev. 43. August 28, 2012
- “Your First Will and Trust: Key Considerations When Drafting Your First Will and Trust,” Minnesota State Bar Association, 2019 Probate & Trust Law Section Conference, June 10, 2019
- “Drafting Basic Wills and Trusts in Minnesota: A Primer,” Minnesota CLE, Washington County Bar Association, November 21, 2018
- “The Nuts and Bolts of a 21st Century Estate Plan,” Minnesota Paralegal Association, 2018 MPA Annual Convention, May 24, 2018
80 South Eighth Street500 IDS CenterMinneapolis, MN 55402
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2016, Order of the Coif; Minnesota Law Review, Articles Submission Editor
Northwestern University, B.A., 2009, Political Science, English