James V. DeGiulio, Ph.D.
Dr. James DeGiulio is an experienced intellectual property attorney who focuses his practice on patent portfolio development, management, and enforcement for U.S. and international clients in the life sciences industry. He has particular experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications covering compositions, formulations, and methods of treatment for both early and late stage clinical development drugs and other pipeline products. Dr. DeGiulio has also been involved in several patent litigation matters where he assisted innovator clients in asserting and defending drug and medical device patents under the Hatch-Waxman Act framework. Dr. DeGiulio applies these unique experiences in developing patent portfolio management strategies for clients and securing patents that both provide optimal protection for their products and are in the strongest position to overcome future invalidity challenges in litigation or inter partes review (IPR) proceedings.
Dr. DeGiulio’s subject matter focus includes therapeutic antibodies and polypeptides, companion diagnostics and biomarkers, fusion proteins, nucleic acid sequencing, genetically modified organisms and biofuels. His graduate research involved increasing the efficiency of non-viral gene therapy delivery to the lung. His undergraduate research focused on characterizing the properties of a novel bacteriophage.
- Moderator, "Capitalizing IP Cost-Effectively: Sophisticated IP Counsel & Creative Pricing," ALM General Counsel Conference, April 19, 2023
- DeGiulio, J.V., FDA Guidance Uncertainty May Deter Use of Abbreviated Biosimilar Approval Pathway, BNA Life Science Law and Industry Report, p. 1-4, April 20, 2012
- DeGiulio, J.V., The Genomic Research and Accessibility Act: More Science Fiction that Fact, Northwestern Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property, Spring 2010
- DeGiulio, J.V., Kaufman, C.D., Dean, D.A., The SP-C promoter facilitates alveolar type II epithelial cell-specific plasmid nuclear import and gene expression. Gene Therapy. 2010 Apr; 17(4): 541-9
- Sivaramakrishnan, S. DeGiulio, J.V., Lorand, L, Goldman, R.D., Ridge, K.M., Micromechanical properties of keratin intermediate filament networks. Procedures of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2008. Jan 22; 105(3); 889-94
- DeGiulio, J.V., Vaughan, E.V., and Dean D.A. Intracellular trafficking of plasmids for gene therapy: Mechanisms of cytoplasmic movement and nuclear import, Current Gene Therapy. Dec 2006, Vol 6, 671-81
- April 17, 2023
- March 20, 2023
- March 17, 2022
155 North Wacker DriveSuite 3000Chicago, IL 60606-1787
- U.S. District Court for the District of Northern Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property Law, Supervising Note & Comment Editor
Northwestern University, Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and Genetics
Arizona State University, B.S. in Biology, magna cum laude