Georgia R. Sampedro, Ph.D.
Dr. Georgia R. Sampedro is a technical specialist in the firm's Intellectual Property practice group who focuses her efforts on biotechnology and life sciences.
Georgia received her doctorate at the University of Chicago in the department of microbiology in the lab of Dr. Juliane Bubeck Wardenburg. Georgia has extensive experience studying the molecular and pathological features of a broad spectrum of human diseases ranging from bacterial infection to drug addiction. As a result, Georgia is an author of scientific research articles in peer-reviewed journals and has received both national and university-wide distinctions for her academic work including Program Award for Best Doctoral Dissertation (2019); Robert C & Mary Gallo Fellow (2018); and Carl Storm Fellow (2017).
Prior to joining the firm, Georgia created thoughtful evaluations for a wide range of biotechnology stakeholders and IP service companies. Georgia also attends part-time law school at Chicago-Kent where she has earned a merit scholarship.
Grimes D, Johnson R, Pashos M, Cummings C, Kang C, Sampedro GR, Tycksen E, McBride HJ, Sah R, Lowell CA, Clemens RA. ORAI1 and ORAI2 modulate murine neutrophil calcium signaling, cellular activation, and host defense. PNAS. September 29, 2020
- Hernandez SL, Nelson M, Sampedro GR, Bagrodia N, Defnet AM, Lec B, Krischner R, Emolo J, Wu L, Biermann H, Shen S, Bubeck-Wardenburg J, Kandel JJ. Staphylococcus aureus alpha toxin activates Notch in vascular cells. Angiogenesis, October 15, 2018
- Sampedro GR, Bubeck Wardenburg J. Staphylococcus aureus in the Intensive Care Unit: Are These Golden Grapes Ripe for a New Approach? J Infect Dis. Feb 15, 2017
- Berube BJ, Sampedro GR, Otto M, Bubeck Wardenburg J. The psmα locus regulates production of Staphylococcus aureus alpha-toxin during infection. Infect Immun. August 8, 2014
- Becker RE, Berube BJ, Sampedro GR, DeDent AC, Bubeck Wardenburg J. Tissue-specific patterning of host innate immune responses by Staphylococcus aureus α-toxin. J Innate Immun. May 10, 2014
- Sampedro GR, DeDent AC, Becker RE, Berube BJ, Gebhardt MJ, Cao H, Bubeck Wardenburg J. Targeting Staphylococcus aureus α-toxin as a novel approach to reduce severity of recurrent skin and soft-tissue infections. J Infect Dis. Apr 16, 2014
- Neugebauer NM, Cortright JJ, Sampedro GR, Vezina P. Exposure to nicotine enhances its subsequent self-administration: contribution of nicotine-associated contextual stimuli. Behav Brain Res. Mar 1, 2014
- Cortright JJ, Sampedro GR, Neugebauer NM, Vezina P. Previous exposure to nicotine enhances the incentive motivational effects of amphetamine via nicotine-associated contextual stimuli. Neuropsychopharmacology. May 23, 2012
- March 17, 2022
- Chicago-Kent Merit Scholarship, 2020
- Program Award for Best Doctoral Dissertation, 2019
- Robert C & Mary Gallo Fellow, 2018
- Carl Storm Fellow, 2017
- NIH Genetics and Regulation Training Grant, 2013-2017
- Biology with Honors, 2011
- Illinois State Scholar, 2007
155 North Wacker DriveSuite 3000Chicago, IL 60606-1787
University of Chicago, Ph.D., Dept. of Microbiology, 2018
University of Chicago, Biology with Honors, B.A., Law, Letters & Society, B.A., 2011