Erik Rome is an associate who focuses his practice on tax planning, estate planning, and estate and trust administration and helps clients develop and implement comprehensive estate plans for a wide range of estate sizes, assets, and objectives.
Understanding that every client’s goals are unique, Erik works closely with each client to develop a custom plan to accomplish their goals, such as minimizing taxes, making charitable gifts, accounting for periods of incapacity, and planning for the eventual transfer of wealth. He also advises owners of privately held entities on formation, organizational, tax, and corporate succession issues.
Erik also guides executors, trustees, and beneficiaries through the process of administering estates and trusts in what can often be a difficult and emotional time for those involved (including the preparation of court pleadings, federal gift and estate tax returns, and IRS private letter ruling requests).
In addition, Erik has experience working side-by-side with litigators on trust and estate litigation, and has helped obtain court-ordered trust modifications and terminations.
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2019
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Heart of America Fellows Institute, Graduate
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2018
- American Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association, Probate Section, Secretary
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Estate Planning Society, First Year Director – Legal
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Foundation, Military Matters
- Kansas City Symphony, Planned Giving Advisory Council
- Kansas State Alpha Tau Omega Students' Aid Endowment Fund, Board of Directors,
- Overland Park Rotary Club
- Co-Author, How Losing 'Stretch IRAs' Could Affect You, Ingram's, August 2019
- Author, Recognizing Those Left Unprotected by ERISA's Section 510 Loophold: Congress Must Act to Protect These Employees, 21 Kan. J.L. & Pab. Pol'y 194 (2011).
- Presenter, Durable Power of Attorneys and Health Care Directives, Kansas City Estate Planning Symposium Estate Planning Fundamentals 2019, Wednesday, October 30, 2019
- Co-presenter, Planned Giving: Maximizing the Benefits of Your Clients' Charitable Gifts, Kansas Bar Association 14 Annual Slam-Dunk CLE, February 2014
- Co-presenter, Estate Planning for Farmers and Ranchers, NBI seminar, November 2014
- November 13, 2019
10851 Mastin BoulevardBuilding 82, Suite 1000Overland Park, KS 66210-1669
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D.
Kansas State University, B.A, Business Administration, Finance, Marketing