Erica L. Tokar
Erica Tokar advises franchisors on a variety of transactional franchise matters, including state and federal regulatory compliance and drafting an array of franchise and distribution-related agreements. A former Fulbright Grantee with worldwide experience, Erica also assists U.S. companies with international expansion utilizing an array of franchising structures, such as master franchising and area development arrangements. Recently, Erica has helped franchisors expand into the Philippines, China, Mexico, Paraguay, Canada, India, and Kuwait. Erica also focuses her practice on mergers and acquisitions that involve franchise systems.
Erica has experience working with a range of clients across several industries, including food service, technology, educational and tutoring businesses, equipment manufacturing and distribution, employment and personnel agencies, and real estate.
Prior to joining Lathrop GPM, Erica served as an attorney adviser through the Attorney General’s Honors Program for the U.S. Department of Justice in the Executive Office for Immigration Review. She previously worked as a research assistant for the Chairman of the United Nations Committee Against Torture in Geneva, Switzerland. Erica also served as a researcher for multiple public policy groups, including the Public International Law and Policy Group, where she researched and prepared legal matters regarding international human rights and governance issues and served clients in Tanzania, Southern Cameroon, and Syria. As a law student, Erica served as the senior symposia editor of the American Bar Association’s Administrative Law Review and remains active as an alumna. Erica focuses her pro bono practice on cases that involve refugees and international human rights, including U.S. asylum applications. She is also proficient in Spanish.
- District of Columbia
- Gray Plant Mooty Pro Bono Excellence Award
- Fulbright Grantee
- October 3, 2019
- November 4, 2017
- “Show Me the Money: Practical Advice for Crafting and Using Financial Performance Representations (FPRs),” presenter, Franchise Expo WestNovember 3, 2017
- January 25, 2017
- “Show Me the Money: Practical Advice for Crafting and Using Financial Performance Representations (FPRs),” presenter, Franchise Expo WestOctober 7, 2016
- October 6, 2016
- Maryland State Bar Association’s Franchise, Distribution, and Antitrust Law Committee, Secretary
- Women's Bar Association, Mentor
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Franchising
- International Franchise Association
- Women's Franchise Network
- Capital Area Franchise Association
- November 8, 2016
600 New Hampshire Avenue, NWThe Watergate - Suite 700Washington, DC 20037
American University Washington College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2013, Order of the Coif
St. Mary's College of Maryland, B.A., 2005