Eric A. Swan
Eric Swan focuses his practice on defending Fortune 500 companies in complex litigation involving product liability and environmental claims, significant mass tort actions, including multi-district litigation, and commercial disputes. He has significant experience representing clients in pharmaceutical and medical device product liability claims. Eric has played a key role in multiple trial teams that achieved defense verdicts and favorable outcomes in courts across the country. He has also played key roles on teams that achieved favorable Daubert rulings in mass torts in both state and federal courts. With his scientific background, Eric has helped clients and expert witnesses successfully navigate the technical issues defendants face in high-stakes litigation.
Eric has successfully argued jurisdictional and preemption motions in the United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and Tenth Circuits.
In addition, Eric has frequently led regulatory risk assessments by advising companies on changes to product labeling and developing strategies to address complex scientific issues.
Eric brings a unique perspective to each matter, having served as Unit Lead of Complex Litigation for the Consumer Protection Section at the Missouri Attorney General’s Office. In that role, he worked on the opioid litigation and other consumer protection focused cases.
- Co-Author, Defending Against Pandemic-Related Lawsuits, Ingram's Magazine, May 2020
- Featured, Lawyer makes jump from Missuouri AG's office to Lathrop Gage, Kansas City Business Journal, April 2019
- Author, The Abuse of Biological Plausibility as a Factor, For the Defense, September 2013
- Author, The Akt Inhibitor KP372-1 Inhibits Proliferation and Induces Apoptosis and Anoikis in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck, Oral Oncology, 2006, 42(4): p.430-9.
- Author, Acquisition of Anoikis Resistance Is a Critical Step in the Progression of Oral Tongue Cancer, Oral Oncology, 2003, 39(7): p.648-55.
- Author, Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Blockade Potentiates Apoptosis Mediated by Paclitaxel and Leads to Prolonged Survival in a Murine Model of Oral Cancer, Clinical Cancer Research, 2003, 9(8): p.3183-89.
- Author, Accelerated HER-2 Degradation Enhances Ovarian Tumor Recognition by CTL. Implications for Tumor Immunogenicity, Molecular & Cell Biochemistry, 2001, 217(1-2): p.21-33.
In the News
- May 31, 2020
- Business Class News Interviews Mara Cohara and Eric Swan on Mitigating Litigation Risks as Businesses ReopenMay 14, 2020
- May 13, 2020
- April 28, 2020
- April 19, 2019
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Trial Academy Graduate
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
2345 Grand Blvd.Suite 2200Kansas City, MO 64108
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Magna Cum Laude,
University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center, M.S., Cancer and Cellular Biology, 2003
Saint Louis University, B.A., Chemistry, 2000