Dean A. LeDoux
Dean LeDoux’s employment and litigation practice includes representing employers in litigation and also advising them on employment issues. Dean also has extensive business litigation experience. Over approximately the last decade, Dean has focused on noncompete, trade secret and confidential information issues, and has handled numerous litigation matters involving those issues. Dean has successfully represented companies and individuals in those types of cases through trial, both as suing parties and defending clients against such claims.
Dean has broad and extensive litigation experience representing businesses and individuals in a variety of forums, including significant appellate practice. He has taken more than 25 cases to trial, most of which were jury trials, and he has handled multiple jury trials over the last several years. He has also handled more than 15 appeals. Included among Dean’s jury trial experience is a 2013 trial in which he was able to obtain a verdict awarding his client $22.7 million in damages. That verdict (RELCO) was identified by the National Law Journal as one of the 100 largest verdicts in the country in 2013. The lawsuit was a complex matter involving primary claims for misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential business information, in addition to noncompete claims.
Dean has also represented labor and employment clients in a variety of jurisdictions, including federal and state courts, and before the National Labor Relations Board, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Minnesota Department of Human Rights, and other such agencies.
Dean also has extensive business litigation experience, handling complex antitrust matters, corporate shareholder disputes, and general commercial litigation matters, in both trial and arbitration settings.
- Jury Trial: RELCO, LLC v. Custom Fabricating & Repair, Inc., et al. (obtained $22.7 million verdict in misappropriation of trade secret and confidential information case; Minnesota state court), October 2013.
- Jury Trial: Nu-Look v. 4 Corner Architectural Sheet Metal (obtained complete defense verdict (no liability) in misappropriation of trade secret and confidential information case; Minnesota state court), August 2016.
- Jury Trial: Mattson v. Dooley’s Petroleum, Inc. (employee whistleblower case; Minnesota state court), January 2012.
- Jury Trial: Tri-State Grease & Tallow Company, Inc. v. BJB, LLC (noncompete business case; Minnesota state court), April 2010.
- Jury Trial: Analog Tech. Corp. v. Dimation, Inc., et al. (trade secrets misappropriation case in which judgment in excess of $1.5 million ultimately obtained; Minnesota state court), May 2009.
- Jury Trial: Pro Ag Alliance v. Johnson (noncompete case; Minnesota state court), March 2009.
- Jury Trial: Russ v. Commercial Walls Systems (noncompete case; Minnesota state court), April 2008.
- Numerous other jury and bench (judge) trials.
- Lead attorney on numerous other lawsuits resolved prior to trial (in a variety of jurisdictions in state and federal courts).
- Case Dismissal: Lindsey v. Clear Wireless, et al. (Fair Labor Standards Act case in which class was decertified and claims dismissed via summary judgment; Minnesota federal court), April 2016.
- Appeal: Analog Tech. Corp. v. Dimation, Inc., et al. (Minnesota Court of Appeals) (argued 2015).
- Appeal: Tri-State Grease & Tallow Company, Inc. v. BJB, LLC (Minnesota Court of Appeals) (argued 2011).
- Appeal: Analog Tech. Corp. v. Dimation, Inc., et al. (Minnesota Court of Appeals) (argued 2011).
- Appeal: C.H. Robinson v. FLS Transportation (Minnesota Court of Appeals) (argued 2009).
- Appeal: Ehlen v. Hanratty & Associates (Minnesota Court of Appeals) (argued 2009)
- Numerous other appeals, including appeals before the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- “Protecting a Company’s Most Valuable Assets: Effective Use of Non-Competes and Confidentiality Agreements and Beyond,” co-presenter, Gray Plant Mooty 2019 Employment and Labor Law Seminar, April 9, 2019
- “Employment Law Update,” Gray Plant Mooty’s Employment Law Seminar, April 1, 2013
- “Noncompete Agreements: Particularly Troublesome Issues in Enforcement,” Hennepin County Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section, February 1, 2012
- “Protecting a Company’s Most Valuable Assets: Effective Use of Noncompetes & Confidentiality Agreements,” Gray Plant Mooty’s Employment Law Seminar, October 1, 2011
- “Making Management of Injured Workers Less Painful: Insight Into Effectively Handling the Overlapping Areas of Workers Comp, ADA, and FMLA for Employees with Disability and Leave Issues,” Gray Plant Mooty’s Employment Law Seminar, April 1, 2010
- “Practically Speaking: Managing Personnel Files & Documentation,” Jeanne Thorne, Inc., Client Seminar, April 1, 2009
- “Employment Law Pointers: A review of best practices to reduce employers’ exposure during tough economic times," January 1, 2009
- “Employment Law 101,” Gray Plant Mooty’s Employment Law Conference, October 1, 2008
- Employment Law Alert: California Passes Law Prohibiting Choice of Law and Venue in Employment AgreementsOctober 26, 2016
- May 4, 2016
- Multiple blog postings for The Modern Workplace blog of the Gray Plant Mooty Employment and Labor Practice GroupJune 16, 2014
- "How to Handle Confidential Information When Onboarding New Hires," HR Specialist: Minnesota Employment LawMarch 1, 2014
- "Caught in the Act - Dairy equipment manufacturer Relco wins $22.78 million in a theft of trade secrets lawsuit," quoted in Minnesota EnterpriseFebruary 1, 2014
- July 1, 2012
- "Prepare For The Crackdown: DOL Focuses On Wage Underpayment," HR Specialist: Minnesota Employment LawJuly 1, 2010
- "First Law Obama Signs Opens Doors To More Pay Discrimination Claims," HR Specialist: Minnesota Employment LawApril 1, 2009
In the News
- August 31, 2016
- March 24, 2014
- November 11, 2013
- "Employer Liability Varies When Workers Using Cell Phones Cause Vehicle Crashes," Bloomberg BNA Human Resources Report, Vol. 30, No. 24June 18, 2012
- Lathrop GPM Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America©, Lawyer of the Year, and Ones to Watch for 2021August 20, 2020
- July 21, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- July 5, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- July 5, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- July 5, 2017
- May 18, 2017
- July 5, 2016
- July 9, 2015
- July 7, 2014
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Member of Board of Directors for Alliance Housing, Inc. (nonprofit addressing homelessness and low income housing)
- "Minnesota Super Lawyer," Thomson Reuters, 2013–2019
- “North Star Lawyers,” Minnesota State Bar Association, 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2018–2021
80 South Eighth Street500 IDS CenterMinneapolis, MN 55402
- Class, Collective & PAGA Representative Actions
- Intellectual Property
- Occupational Safety
- Workers' Compensation
- Employment & Labor
- Employment Litigation
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Traditional Labor
- Non-Compete, Non-Solicit, Trade Secrets & Other Restrictive Covenants
- Shareholder Disputes
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1986
Concordia College (Moorhead, MN), magna cum laude, undergraduate degree