Cicely R. Miltich
Cicely Miltich is an experienced litigator who specializes in employment law. She represents employers in litigation and also advises them on a wide range of labor and employment issues, including unfair labor practices, grievance arbitrations, collective bargaining, discrimination charges, whistleblower and retaliation claims, leave and disability issues, employment and severance agreements, non-competes and other post-employment restrictions, and employee handbooks and policies. Cicely also has broad litigation experience representing businesses, governmental entities, and individuals in a variety of matters, including significant appellate experience.
Through trainED , Cicely conducts sexual misconduct and discrimination investigations and adjudications on behalf of colleges and universities. Drawing from her extensive background in discrimination law, Cicely serves as a knowledgeable and neutral third-party investigator and adjudicator.
Prior to joining the firm, Cicely served as an assistant attorney general in the Minnesota Attorney General's Office. In this role she counseled state agencies on employment and labor issues and defended state agencies in cases involving employment issues and constitutional claims. Cicely also has previous experience in private practice and was a law clerk to the Honorable John R. Tunheim of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota and to Chief Justice Lorie S. Gildea of the Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Obtained complete defense verdict for state agency as first-chair in a jury trial in an employment discrimination case.
- Obtained summary judgment for state college in seven-figure wrongful termination employment discrimination case.
- Obtained summary judgment for state agency in age and disability employment discrimination case.
- Obtained dismissal of federal lawsuit challenging unfair labor practices.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit challenging state agency’s COVID-19 vaccination policies and priorities.
- Obtained injunctive relief in non-compete employment matter on behalf of Minnesota medical device manufacturer.
- Defeated preliminary injunction sought against Fortune 500 company arising out of claim for breach of employment contract.
- Co-presenter, “Title IX/VAWA Hearing Panel Training,” trainED, October 5, 2022
- Co-presenter, “Annual Training for Advanced Title IX Coordinators and Deputy Coordinators,” trainED, August 2, 2022
- Co-presenter, "Annual Training for Advanced Title IX Coordinators and Deputy Coordinators," trainED, July 25, 2022
- Co-presenter, "Leave Lessons: Common Misconceptions About the ADA and FMLA," Lathrop GPM 2022 Employment & Labor Law Seminar, April 12, 2022 (Kansas City); May 4, 2022 (Minneapolis)
- Co-presenter, "Minnesota State Supreme Court Update," Minnesota Appellate Practice Institute, February 25, 2022
- Co-presenter, "Minnesota State Supreme Court Update," Attorney General’s Office, December 9, 2020
- Co-presenter, "Preparing the Witness to Present Her Best Case at Trial," Minnesota CLE, September 14, 2017
- Co-Author, Briefly: A gender reveal: Who’s arguing at Minnesota Supreme Court, Minnesota Lawyer, September 11, 2020
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association Appellate Practice Section Council Member (2021-present)
- Minnesota Lawyer 2020 Attorney of the Year (Creating Peacetime Emergency Precedent & 2020 Election)
80 South Eighth Street500 IDS CenterMinneapolis, MN 55402
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., summa cum laude, 2011; Order of the Coif; Lockhart Award for Excellence in Scholarship, Leadership and Service
Carleton College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2008