Bogdan S. Borowy, Ph.D.
Dr. Bogdan Borowy is a technical specialist in the firm’s intellectual property group with 30+ years of corporate R&D experience in the area of power electronics, dynamical controls, and physics based modeling and simulations of power converters, motor drives, and large-scale propulsion and converter systems. During his career, he led diverse groups of engineers and scientists conducting advanced development and research in the areas of model-based control systems for power conversion, microgrids, magnetic levitation, motor drives, robotics, embedded systems, machine learning and artificial intelligence.
Dr. Borowy was the Senior Director of Advanced Technology for a technology corporation in Boston, Massachusetts where he directed development of grid scale conversion systems and their control. He also previously has worked as a senior technical advisor where he led development, implementation, and tests of full scale magnetically levitated vehicles (MagLev), 20 MW Advanced Arresting Gear propulsion control system for USS Carrier Gerald Ford, and high-precision robust electromagnetic position sensors. In addition, he was directly involved in development of advanced control of high-end disk drives.
Briefly, he actively participated in NASA’s JPL Disturbance Rejection System (DRS) for measuring gravitational waves in space design by developing a colloidal micro-Newton thruster propulsion controls.
Dr. Borowy has been developing and promoting renewable energy systems (wind, solar) as economically viable clean alternatives to fossils including battery storage optimization, “blue” hydrogen generation, and control algorithms for autonomous microgrids. He actively participates in related IEEE standards committees and co-authored several papers related to renewable energy use optimization.
- Borowy, B.S.; Salameh, Z.M,” Dynamic response of a stand-alone wind energy conversion system with battery energy storage to a wind gust ,” Energy Conversion, IEEE Transactions on , Volume: 12 Issue: 1, March 1997, Page(s): 73 -78
- S. Borowy, N. Harrat, Z. M. Salameh, “Maximum Power Point Tracker for a PV Array in a Wind/PV Hybrid System”, Progress in Photovoltaics, December, 1996.
- S. Borowy, K. Rajashekara, K. Donegan, “Soft-switched MCT/IGBT inverter for motor drive applications,” Power Electronics in Transportation, 1998 , 22-23 Oct. 1998, Page(s): 53 -62
- S. Borowy, K. Donegan, “Soft Switching Hybrid Topology for Custom Power Applications,” Workshop on Power Electronics Applications: Soft Switching or Hard Switching?, Minneapolis, MN, September 23-25, 1998. Sponsored by: PEBB Program Office, ONR
- S. Borowy, V. Davidkovich, “High Speed PM Drive for Air Compressor Applications,” PCIM International Conference, Boston, MA, October 2-5, 2000.
- Neacsu, D.O.; Borowy, B.S.; Bonnice, W.F, “Limiting interconverter zero-sequence currents within 3-phase multi-converter power systems-review and ultimate solution,” Industrial Electronics Society, 2001. IECON '01. The 27th Annual Conference of the IEEE , Volume: 2 , 29 Nov.-2 Dec., 2001Page(s): 1255 -1261 vol.2
- S. Borowy, E. T. Wagner, "Fast Computation of Z-Parameters of Power Electronics Converters for Stability Analysis," Computers in Power Electronics, 2002. Proceedings. 2002 IEEE Workshop on , 3-4 June 2002, Page(s): 11 -17.
- Neacsu, D.O.; Wagner, E.; Borowy, B.,”Selection of the PWM algorithm for 3-phase interleaved converters,” Industry Applications Conference, 2002. 37th IAS Annual Meeting. Conference Records, Volume: 3 , 13-18 Oct. 2002, Page(s): 1958 -1965 vol.3
- F. Casey, B. S. Borowy, E. T. Wagner, G. Davis, Drum & J. Connell, “Hi/Rel Double Sided Package for Si/SiC Power Module, “The Next COTS Power Package?”,”, 2005 International Military & Aerospace/Avionics COTS Conference
- Borowy, L. Casey, E. Wagner, T. Burke, G. Khalil, “Issues and Solutions in the Realization of a 5 HP Silicon-Carbide Motor Drive for Military Vehicle Applications,” AECV 2005
- F. Casey and B. S. Borowy, “Beyond Silicon for Power Devices,” ESA 2005, IESA Annual Meeting, Toronto 2005
- Bogdan Borowy, Leo Casey, et al, “Breaking Barriers to Low-Cost Modular Inverter Production and Use,” (monograph) Office of Scientific and Technical Information, US Department of Energy, Washington DC and Oak Ridge, Tenn., 2005
- Casey, B. Borowy, G. Davis, “High Power Silicon Carbide Inverter Design – 100kW Grid Connect Building Blocks”, DOE EESAT 2005.
- Borowy, L. Casey, “Pulse-by-pulse predictive current limiter,” Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, 2006. APEC '06. Twenty-First Annual IEEE, 19-23 March 2006 Page(s):7 pp.
- Borowy, B.; Casey, L.; Davis, G.; Cornell, J.; “Hirel Double Sided Package for Si/SiC Power Module,” Reliability Physics Symposium Proceedings, 2006. 44th Annual., IEEE International, March 2006 Page(s):613 - 614
- S. Borowy, J. Munro, L. Casey, ”Development of a Toolset for Harmonic Analysis of the Integrated Power System,” EMTS Conference, Philadelphia, PA, May 2006
- S. Borowy, L. Casey, “ SiC Motor Drives for Shipboard Application”, EMTS Conference, Arlington, VA , May 2006
- S. Borowy, S. Gurol,, “GA Urban Maglev System Overview,” invited lecture, Center for Control Systems and Dynamics, UCSD, Jan. 2007
- Borowy, B. S.; Casey, L. F.; Davis, G. H.; Rajda, J.; Schauder, C. D., “Advanced Semiconductor Impact on Distributed Generation, Energy Storage and the Utility Grid,” Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 2007. IEEE, 24-28 June 2007 Page(s):1 - 8
- Neacsu, D.O.; Wagner, E.; Borowy, B.,”A Simulation Benchmark for Selection of the PWM Algorithms for Three-Phase Interleaved Converters,” Transaction on Industrial Electronics, accepted for publication in a future issue of the journal.
- Gurol, R. Baldi, P. Jeter, In-Kun Kim, B. Borowy, R. Post, „General Atomics Urban Maglev: Moving Towards Demonstration,” Linear Drives Industry Applications (LDIA) 2007, Lille, France, Sep. 2007
- S. Borowy, H. Gurol, In-Kun Kim, “Controller Design of Linear Synchronous Motor for General Atomics Urban Maglev,” Linear Drives Industry Applications (LDIA) 2007, Lille, France, Sep. 2007
- In-Kun Kim, Phil Jeter and Bogdan Borowy, „Design and Verification Tests of the Linear Synchronous Motor for the General Atomics Urban Maglev,” Linear Drives Industry Applications (LDIA) 2007, Lille, France, Sep. 2007
- Borowy, K. Kang, “Modeling of the General Atomics Maglev: System Identification Approach,” Maglev 08 International Conference, San Diego, CA, Dec. 15 – Dec. 18, 2008
- In-Kun Kim, Bogdan Borowy, L. Nguan, „Vehicle Dynamics Design for a PM/EDS Maglev System,” Maglev 08 International Conference, San Diego, CA, Dec. 15 – Dec. 18, 2008
- Sepe, S. Bastien, A. Steyerl, B. Borowy, “Robust Absolute Position Sensing for Maglev,” IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Expo, Atlanta, GA, Sep. 2010
- Sepe, S. Bastien, A. Steyerl, B. Borowy, “Robust Absolute Position Sensing for Maglev,” invited paper for IEEE Industry Applications Society (IAS) Magazine Proceedings, 2011.
- Borowy, H. Gurol, “Development of Robust Electromagnetic Position Sensor for Linear Synchronous Motor in General Atomics Urban Maglev,” Linear Drives Industry Applications, Eindhoven, Netherlands, July 2011.
- Borowy, M. Walker, J. Cheah, “An Unmanned Vehicle Power System Architecture based on Autonomous Distributed Power Nodes,” ASNE Intelligent Ships Symposium IX, 2011
- Borowy, “Advanced PV Inverters Capabilities,” Lecture at 2011 UWIG Fall Technical Workshop, Maui, Hawaii, Oct. 11-14, 2011
- Leo Casey, Bogdan Borowy, et al, “Power Devices for Grid Connections,” IEEE 2012 International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs, 3-7 June, 2012, Bruges, Belgium
- Casey, B. Borowy, et al, “Grid Integration of Electronic Devices & Systems at Medium Voltage,” IEEE International Conference on Power Systems Technology (POWERCON), 2012, pp. 1 - 6
- Mossoba, B. Borowy, et al, “Analysis of Solar Irradiance Intermittency Mitigation Using Constant DC Voltage PV and EV Battery Storage,” IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), Dearborn, MI, 2012
- J. Traube, D. Maksimovic, B. Borowy, et al, “Mitigation of Solar Irradiance Intermittency in Photovoltaic Power System with Integrated Electric Vehicle Charging Functionality,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vo. 28, No. 6, 2013, pp. 3058-3067
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Steering Committee Member for IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo – last 6 years
- Invited Peer Reviewer for the Department of Energy Advanced Manufacturing Office for PowerAmerica – Wide Bandgap Devices development program
- IEEE Standards Coordinating Committee 21 Member
- IEEE Standards 2030.8 Microgrid Controller Committee Member
- IEEE Standards 1547.9 Distributed Energy Sources Committee Member
- Reviewer of professional journals
- IEEE Transactions on Power Conversion
- IEEE Transactions on Micro Grids
- IEEE APEC Conference
- IEEE ITEC Conference
- ACTA: International Journal on Power and Energy Systems
2049 Century Park EastSuite 3500SLos Angeles, CA 90067-1623
University of Massachusetts, Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering
Warsaw University of Technology (Poland), M.S., Electrical Engineering