William F. Jones
Unlike other litigators, Billy does not always follow the "normal" litigation playbook. He is known to be exceptionally adept at problem-solving and innovating, delivering unique solutions tailored to each client's needs. As a "trial guy," he always has his eye on presenting the best case at trial. Clients come to Billy often to represent their interest in bet-the-company litigation – and "if they walk into the courtroom, clients know that they are ready, well-represented and positioned to win."
William "Billy" Jones is an accomplished litigator with a proven history in complex civil litigation and business disputes. His robust experience makes him an invaluable asset for businesses and individuals alike. His career spans over 15 states and includes representation in a multitude of appellate courts. With a strong focus on franchise and distribution disputes, Billy brings an aggressive and focused approach to each case, ensuring that clients are defended against an array of claims, from manufacturing and design defects to negligence and breach of warranty. He is set apart by his strategic prowess and ability to think and act creatively.
Billy's litigation experience spans:
- Class action defense
- Intellectual property litigation
Bringing a wealth of knowledge and insight to every case, Billy's passion for advocacy is evident in his tireless protection of clients' interests against a plethora of claims, including complex contractual issues, business torts, and more. According to one client, "I have had the significant pleasure of working with Billy on a complex contract matter wrapped up with very real intellectual property issues Billy's candor, counsel, competence, and conscious devotion to best-realized results helped deliver a resolution, putting the matter to rest."
Focused and aggressive, Billy represents a broad range of clients, including midsize to large businesses. His counsel extends to various sectors such as:
- Franchise and distribution
- Real estate
- Professional services
- Brewing and distilling
As a leader of trial teams, Billy is strategic and efficient, always working directly towards achieving the client's goals. His unique blend of experience, creativity and dedication makes him a formidable advocate and an invaluable asset to any client facing litigation. Clients benefit from his commitment to efficiency and direct approach to achieving their goals.
His innovative mindset is key to finding solutions and delivering results for clients. His extensive experience, from trial to appeal, and in mediation and arbitration proceedings, assures clients sound counsel and steadfast representation.
WHEN ASKED …
What inspires you about the practice of law?
What truly inspires me about the practice of law is multifaceted. Having grown up seeing my father, a solo practitioner, make a meaningful impact on clients' lives, the idea of navigating complex problems to help people deeply resonated with me. This early exposure is what initially led me to a career in law. In my practice today, what fuels my passion is the rich tapestry of personalities that law, especially litigation, introduces me to. I have a genuine love for people, and working with a diverse range of individuals, each with their own unique challenges and goals is tremendously fulfilling. The intellectual and practical challenges of strategizing effective solutions for clients and guiding them to their desired outcomes excite me and make every day a new adventure. This blend of people, problem-solving and strategic thinking is what keeps me driven in the practice of law.
What do you do outside of work?
I primarily walk or hike with my three dogs and spend time with my lovely wife. I play some pickleball where and when I can. Our two children are grown and out of the house, so we visit them as often as possible. I'm also a bit of a history buff.
- Represented a large, certified massage school in California against a multi-million dollar claim arising out of a lease liability within an asset purchase transaction. This "bet-the-company" case culminated in a full defense verdict and attorney's fees.
- Represented a business owner in a partnership dispute arising out of a partnership to develop and build out a large golf and housing development in Colorado. This complex case involved ongoing business issues, management of the case to protect the ongoing development, and a myriad of partnership and financing issues for the client. The client received a full defense verdict on all the plaintiff's claims.
- Handled a complex family partnership dispute for a large document storage business, representing the company in multi-party litigation involving member-member claims, member-manager claims, and claims against the company. All claims against the company were dismissed on summary judgment thus avoiding trial.
- Represented a North Dakota company and its two owners in bet-the-company and bet-the-individuals litigation in federal court for several years arising out of various claims for a failed land development deal. The clients prevailed.
- Handled a contentious real estate dispute in a multi-million dollar inheritance regarding a land parcel adjoining an interstate highway. The client's estranged brother claimed full ownership. After the trial, the brother was awarded one-third, and the client was awarded two-thirds, allowing the client to market her multi-million dollar parcel separately for sale.
- Represented a U.S.-based international confectionery manufacturer and retail operator franchise in a long-term, multi-million dollar dispute over a 20-year-old franchise and distribution agreement in Canada. After two weeks of presenting the client's position in a jury trial, the opposition agreed to settle the case on a one-page, handwritten sheet of paper outside the courtroom.
- Presenter, "Use of Civil Claims When Title 14 Comes Up Short," Colorado Family Law Institute, August 2023
- Podcast Guest, Episode 92, Latte With a Lawyer, September 2022
- Presenter, "Trust Modifications, ILITs, and Other Insurance Policy Opportunities in 2021," Diverse Engineering Professionals Conference Meeting, September 2021
- Presenter, "Making Organizations Talk: The Effect of Changes to Rule 30(b)(6) on Federal Practice," Defense Research Institute Business Litigation Seminar, April 2018
- Author, "Handling a New Normal in the Workplace," ColoradoBiz Magazine, August 18, 2020
- Author, "Common Legal Mistakes Brewing Business Make in Real Estate, Zoning, Licensing (and How to Avoid Them)," Craft Brewing Business, July 31, 2019
- Author, "Tough Economic Times Increase the Potential for Franchisor Tort Liability," The Business Suit, Newsletter of DRI Commercial Litigation Committee, March 2012
- Author, "Making Mediation Work For You," The Whisper, Newsletter of DRI Young Lawyers Committee, April 2007
In the News
- American Bar Association - Forum on Franchising, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Law Week Colorado, "Barrister's Best," Best Overall Litigator, 2022
- Benchmark Litigation, the Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, "Local Litigation Star," General Commercial Litigation, Insurance Litigation, and Product Liability Litigation, 2020-2023
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Real Estate, 2021-2024; Product Liability Litigation-Defendants, 2022-2024; Litigation-Trusts and Estates, 2024
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Civil Litigation-Defense, 2015-2023
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
675 15th StreetSuite 2650Denver, CO 80202
- District of Columbia
- North Dakota
University of Virginia, J.D., 1997
- Order of the Coif
Duke University, B.A., Political Science and Public Policy, cum laude, 1993