Benjamin O. Bonestroo
Benjamin practices in the Trusts, Estates and Legacy Planning area. Working with families, fiduciaries, individuals, and family businesses, he assists his clients with estate planning, trust and estate administration, and business succession planning. This includes drafting wills, trusts, and other estate-planning instruments, advising clients on tax minimization strategies, and guiding families through the estate administration process. Additionally, Ben’s affinity for art has interested him to start developing a focus in art law within estate planning. He aims to expand his experience of this realm of work in the near future.
- Drafted estate plans, including revocable and irrevocable trusts for individuals and families at all levels of complexity, ranging in value from very modest to ultra-high net worth.
- Drafted various types of irrevocable trusts including GRATs, irrevocable life insurance trusts, intentionally defective grantor trusts, and SLATs.
- Represented clients throughout the probate process.
- Advised clients on business needs including LLC formations and review buy-sell agreements.
- Completed Minnesota and federal estate tax returns.
- Developed strategies to reduce or eliminate federal estate and gift taxes; prepare federal gift tax returns to report transactions.
- Represented clients in U.S. Tax Court Appeal.
- August 2021
Client Alerts and Blog Posts
- Trust & Estates Alert: Proposed IRS Regulations to Take Away Valuation Discounts for Family-Owned BusinessesSeptember 1, 2016
- Estate Planning Matters! Summer 2015June 19, 2015
- August 19, 2021
- July 22, 2021
- January 14, 2021
- June 14, 2019
- Arizona State Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Springboard for the Arts, board member, 2016-current
- Selected among The Best Lawyers in America®, "Ones to Watch," 2022
- "Minnesota Rising Star," Thomson Reuters, 2021
- "North Star Lawyers," Minnesota State Bar Association, 2018
80 South Eighth Street500 IDS CenterMinneapolis, MN 55402
- U.S. Tax Court
New York University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif
- St. Thomas More Honor Society
University of Bristol, M.A. in Archeology, with commendation
Pitzer College, B.A.