Andrew J. Ricke
Andrew Ricke focuses his practice on tort, personal injury and business-related litigation in both state and federal courts. He frequently defends businesses and organizations in complex and high-exposure personal injury and property lawsuits, including multi-million-dollar mass torts (e.g., environmental and property-related nuisance and trespass claims), product liability, toxic exposure and premise liability litigation.
Additionally, Andrew handles a wide range of disputes affecting business and corporate clients, including contract disputes, partnership and shareholder litigation and defense of employment claims (e.g., discrimination, retaliation, non-compete enforcement). Adding to his versatility, Andrew has notable experience representing clients in real estate, health care and professional liability litigation. He partners with clients to minimize risk and provide quality legal advice that is responsive, strategic and efficient.
Prior to joining the firm, Andrew practiced at a civil defense firm in Kansas City, Missouri focusing on personal injury, insurance defense and subrogation matters. In law school, he was a staff editor for the Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy and actively participated in the moot court competition and the Dean’s Student Advisory Board. He was a CALI award winner and a recipient of the Payne & Jones Lawyering Award for excellence in legal research and writing.
- Represents national and industry-leading recycling and waste management company in mass environmental and personal injury litigation involving eight-figure exposure claims.
- Represents worldwide tractor and piping manufacturing clients in product liability litigation.
- Represents chemical, manufacturing, engineering and transportation clients in asbestos-related mesothelioma and injury claims.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict for a corporate client in property-related nuisance and trespass claims, following a jury trial and multi-level appeal.
- Obtained a complete dismissal, without any amounts paid by the client, in a professional liability and conspiracy action against an accounting firm client.
- Successfully defended a world-renowned mixed martial arts instructor and competitor in a personal injury lawsuit brought by a class participant.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a hospital client in defense of employment-related “Fair Hearing” arbitration.
- Successfully represented leading transportation client in defense of various six and seven-figure personal injury and employee claims, including complex musculoskeletal, repetitive stress and cumulative trauma injuries.
- Represented one of the nation's largest Class I railroads in defense of toxic exposure lawsuits, including management and defense of a high volume of claims alleging asbestos, silica and/or diesel exhaust exposure.
- Represent corporate and business clients in business and commercial-related litigation, such as breach of contract, consumer protection and property damage claims.
- Representing health care and medical practice clients in pursuit of breach of contract claims and related shareholder litigation.
- Represent business and individuals in real estate litigation, including disputes related to landlord rights, foreclosures and evictions.
- Obtained complete defense verdict in arbitration proceeding on behalf of automobile dealership sued for breach of contract and consumer protection claims.
- November 13, 2019
- January 1, 2019
- November 14, 2018
- November 9, 2017
- April 19, 2012
- American Bar Association
- Earl E. O'Connor American Inn of Court
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Operation Breakthrough, Leadership Council, 2017 - Present
- Overland Park Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Selected for Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers "Rising Stars," 2016-2019
- Leadership Overland Park, 2018
- Ross T. Roberts Trial Academy, 2013-14
10851 Mastin BoulevardBuilding 82, Suite 1000Overland Park, KS 66210-1669
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
University of Kansas School of Law, J.D. with Advocacy Certificate, 2010
- Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy, Staff Editor
- CALI Award for top grades in Lawyering II and Torts II
- Moot Court Competition, 2009
- Certificate in Advocacy
- Payne & Jones Lawyering Award
University of Kansas, B.G.S., with distinction, 2007