Amy Erickson has a robust probate, trust, guardianship, and fiduciary litigation practice. She is passionate about helping clients resolve disputes over the administration of trusts or estates, will and trust contests, and contested matters of guardianship or conservatorship. Amy works diligently to make sure her clients' interests are protected, and her interpersonal skills make her an effective advocate for clients in these often highly emotional cases.
Amy also draws in her broad policy, political, and campaign experience, advising nonprofit advocacy organizations in connection with political and lobbying activities and compliance with federal and state campaign finance laws and representing voting rights organizations in connection with election-related litigation.
Before joining the firm, Amy held various public section positions, including Policy Director for the Colorado State Senate Majority Office and field coordinator for a congressional campaign.
- Represent hospitals seeking guardianships for patients lacking capacity and in need to emergency and/or permanent decision makers.
- Represented three children challenging their mother’s trust on the grounds of undue influence.
- Represented trust beneficiary and vulnerable adult in contested action to invalidate trust disclaimer on grounds of undue influence and lack of capacity, securing temporary restraining order freezing disputed assets in possession and control of trustee and paving way to favorable settlement.
- Represented Common Cause Minnesota, OneMinnesota.org and Voices for Racial Justice in Minnesota's special judicial redistricting proceedings, advocating for the rights and interests of Minnesotans of color. Presented oral argument before five-judge Special Redistricting Panel on January 4, 2022, the final public step in a series of hearings held to gather input on redistricting and defend proposed maps intended to give Minnesota's growing minority communities the most influential and impactful voice on voting district boundaries.
- Represented League of Women Voters of Minnesota & Vivian Latimer Tanniehill v. Steve Simon in an election law case where absentee-voter witness requirements were removed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Obtained a Federal Court injunction under the Voting Rights Act for League of Women Voters of Minnesota & Council on Islamic American Relations v. Atlas Ageis & Anthony Caudle.
- Represented the District of Columbia and 14 States in Donald J. Trump For President, Inc., et al. v. Steve Simon (Robert LaRose, et al., Intervenors) in a case regarding mail-in ballots postmarked by Election Day.
- Co-presenter, "How to Reduce the Likelihood of Estate and Trust Litigation in the Planning and Administration Phases," Denver Estate Planning Council Virtual Meeting, March 17, 2022
- Co-authored, "Undue Influence in Estate Planning: When Help Goes Too Far," Hennepin County Bar Association, April 23, 2020
- Authored, Selma to Selma: Modern Day Voter Discrimination in Alabama, 35 75 (2017)
Client Alerts and Blog Posts
In the News
- July 18, 2019
- Minnesota Women Lawyers' Partner Leadership Council, Co-Chair
- Board Member, Emerge Colorado, 2013-2014
- AmeriCorps Volunteer, 2009-2010
- "North Star Lawyers," Minnesota State Bar Association, 2018
- 2017 National Association of Women Lawyers Outstanding Student Award
80 South Eighth Street500 IDS CenterMinneapolis, MN 55402
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2017, Law & Inequality: A Journal of Theory and Practice, Volume 35, Editor-in-Chief
Gustavus Adolphus College, B.A., with honors, 2009