Alan W. Steele, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Alan Steele has over a dozen years of experience in intellectual property and centers his practice around the preparation and prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications in the fields of biotechnology, immunology, chemistry, nucleic acids, antibodies, pharmaceuticals, vaccines, therapeutics, molecular diagnostics and medical devices. His practice includes advising clients in strategic patent portfolio development and management, as well as the preparation of patentability, non-infringement, patent invalidity and patent clearance opinions. Alan’s clients include leading hospitals and academic institutions, start-up companies, well-established small companies and large pharmaceutical companies.
Alan has experience in due diligence studies for patent portfolio licensing and acquisition transactions, trade secrets and litigation support, including responding to a request to initiate march-in proceedings under the Bayh-Dole Act.
Before practicing law, Alan practiced medicine as an academic internist for thirteen years and was board certified in internal medicine and nephrology. He worked as an instructor in medicine at Harvard Medical School and an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. At Harvard and at the University of Massachusetts he conducted independent basic research investigating fundamentals of T-cell and transplantation biology, with a special interest in translational research. He has hands-on clinical and technical experience in molecular and cellular biology, monoclonal antibodies, transplantation, hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis.
Alan is also a co-inventor on a number of patents, including the following:
- US 6,403,077 - Treatment Regimes Featuring an IL-10-Containing Chimeric Polypeptide
- US 6,410,008 - Chimeric IL-10 Proteins and Uses Thereof
- US 6,770,272 - Treatment of Diabetes
- US 7,018,626 - Chimeric IL-10
- EP 0793504 - Chimeric Cytokines and Uses Thereof
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Boston Patent Law Association (BPLA)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- MIT Enterprise Forum, Innovation Series Committee
- New England Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2011-2012
- American Heart Association Clinician Scientist Award, 1989-1993
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Certification in Nephrology, 1992
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Certification in Internal Medicine, 1989
28 State StreetSuite 700Boston, MA 02109
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2002
Boston University School of Medicine, M.D., 1985
University of Pennsylvania, Ph.D., 1983
Wesleyan University, B.A., 1977